Re: [scrumdevelopment] Sprint Goals Do you use them? Do you make them work?

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2010
      Hello, George. On Sunday, September 26, 2010, at 11:44:53 AM, you
      wrote:

      >> My issues are two fold: If the PO’s needs for a given sprint are a
      >> series of disparate user stories, I don’t see how we can create a real
      >> sprint goal.

      > That's true, and that's often an impediment to having a sprint goal. If
      > the PO has no unified intent for the sprint, then the only goal is "do
      > some more work." Often there's nothing that can immediately be done
      > about that.

      > But when I have clients in that situation, I suggest that they take a
      > step back and look at the bigger picture. Often in these cases, the PO
      > isn't really the PO and doesn't have the authority to direct the work.
      > They're just relaying instructions. The fact that they can't see
      > unifying goals in the work is an indicator of that. When this is true,
      > I think it's beneficial if the PO-proxy works a little harder at
      > understanding the intent of the PO (sometimes still a proxy) above them.

      Yes. If the work is just a list of stories, it's likely not very
      interesting or creative work. "Work is a list of stories" may well
      be the name of an important impediment.

      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      Adapt, improvise, overcome.
      --Gunnery Sergeant Tom Highway (Heartbreak Ridge)