Re: [scrumdevelopment] How to get to small tasks?

  • Paul Tevis
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 15, 2010
      On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Rick Dahl <rdahl@...> wrote:
      Most are 2-4 days and some can stretch for 35-40 hours.  I anticipate a struggle with breaking down tasks into 6-8 hour chunks.  Is there a good way to go about doing this?  Or should I just plan on long spring planning meetings in the beginning while we get our feet wet?

      One technique we've had some success with is "after-the-fact" breakdown to teach people how to do it. During the Daily Scrum, if someone is working on a task that's bigger than a day, I'll write down what they said they did (which, by definition, is less than 8 hours), put that as a task on the board, and move it to complete. When they're done, they can see what the steps they took to accomplish it were, which can help them see think about how to break down future tasks.

      Or put another way: people are already slicing tasks into chunks. Sometimes you just have to show them that they're doing it.

      --Paul

      --
      Paul Tevis
      ptevis@...