Re:Multi-project and Multi-po

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 14, 2010
      Very interesting to hear your perspective, David!

      We have struggled with many of these issues as well. Our CEO definitely likes to get status updates. And, like, you our different POs never seem to agree on what they want up front, it is always after-the-fact, and based on 'what, i really need xxx", not any kind of strategic plan or even value proposition.

      We are also a single dev team, so we have also had to make the 'support time is outside the scrum' adjustment. I have a team of 7 developers. Like you, essentially 1 FTE is consumed doing maintenance activities. This 1 FTE is highly variable: some days all day, other days nothing. The question is, how do you handle support requests, and all items considered too small to make a project?

      I have read two approaches to handling this:

      (1) designate a firefighting team, and give production issues and support to this person( or people). Their activities are outside the scrum, and presumably, the scrum is largely unbothered.

      (2) have only one team, and have them all come to the scrums, but list firefighting as an impediment.

      We have been doing (2), but I am beginnign to think (1) might be better. What do you do?