Culture of Change

  • Geoffrey
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2010
      I was reflecting on the situation we find ourselves today as compared to three, four, and five years ago.

      I came across this post:

      <Portions reproduced here>
      > Indeed. As Semler says in chapter one, many people come to hear the
      > story, but few decide to organize their companies the way he has. He
      > also points out that he started by firing two-thirds of the most
      > senior managers of his father's company when he took over, to
      > eliminate "foot-dragging from entrenched executives".

      > I've long been an interested member of Geoff Slinker's
      > maverick_software_development group, named after Semler's first
      > book, /Maverick/. Semler's example is fascinating, but not
      > frequently emulated. I can't really grok it from his writing; I feel
      > that I'd have to see it in action. It gives one hope for the future
      > of Agile ideas, even the more radical ones some of us have. But then
      > I visit today's companies, and even in the most "enlightened", a
      > couple of which I'm fortunate to have as clients, there's a long way
      > to go before they're anything like Semco.

      > It makes me wonder. Scrum, at its best, sets a team loose with a
      > commitment of time, money, people, and support, to build something
      > good. It can be very self-organizing. In the client organizations
      > I'm thinking of, there's great support from management, and in fact
      > more financial support than a start-up of the same size would likely
      > have. There are some "real company" style controls, but they're not
      > much more onerous than the controls I am subject to here at
      > XProgramming.com, and in some ways people have more flexibility than
      > I do, with big company resources at their disposal.

      > And yet, few of the Scrum projects I've seen ever really adopt an
      > entrepreneurial approach. Few really start acting like they're
      > running their own business at all, much less in a really democratic
      > style. I'd like for that to happen. It would take a lot of people
      > letting go, though, and that doesn't happen as often as it might.

      > It does make me wonder ...

      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare,
      > it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. --Seneca

      Since many of the same people that were involved with the original post/thread are still active I was hoping to get some thoughts on the journey to where we find ourselves today and the current short term challenges and long term goals of Scrum, culture, and related areas.

      Geoff Slinker