New Blog/Community: Scrum 4 Kids

  • Peter Stevens (cal)
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 12, 2010
      Hi everyone,

      I have started a new blog: http://Scrum4Kids.blogspot.com/ It's about applying scrum to family
      situations. Comments & Co-authors are welcome!

      Cheers,

      Peter

      --
      Peter Stevens, CSM, CSPO, CSP
      Independent Scrum Trainer and Coach

      Member of DasScrumTeam.de

      blog: http://scrum-breakfast.com
      tel: +41 44 586 6450
      cell: +41 79 422 6722
      skype: peterstev
    • mdlmmdlm
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 12, 2010
        Peter,

        Very fun!

        I have reblogged your post at: http://scruminschools.org/

        You may be interested in http://scruminschools.org/ since our intent is similar but not identical.

        Michael
      • Peter Stevens (calendar)
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 12, 2010
          Hi Michael,

          Thanks! I created a blog roll of related blogs and you're up there :-)

          Cheers,

          Peter

          On 12.09.10 17:52, mdlmmdlm wrote:

          Peter,

          Very fun!

          I have reblogged your post at: http://scruminschools.org/

          You may be interested in http://scruminschools.org/ since our intent is similar but not identical.

          Michael

          --
          Peter Stevens, CSM, CSPO, CSP
          Independent Scrum Trainer and Coach
          Sierra-Charlie Consulting | Zurich | Switzerland

          Member of DasScrumTeam.de

          blog:  http://scrum-breakfast.com
          tel:   +41 44 586 6450
          cell:  +41 79 422 6722
          skype: peterstev
        • Simon Roberts
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 12, 2010
            Hi Peter,

            Great idea.

            We've applied Scrum in quite a few family "situations" here in Berlin. I'll see if I can get my 10 year old to write about them.

            Best wishes,

            Simon

            On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Peter Stevens (cal) <peterstev@...> wrote:

            Hi everyone,

            I have started a new blog: http://Scrum4Kids.blogspot.com/ It's about applying scrum to family
            situations. Comments & Co-authors are welcome!

            Cheers,

            Peter

            --
            Peter Stevens, CSM, CSPO, CSP
            Independent Scrum Trainer and Coach
            Sierra-Charlie Consulting | Zurich | Switzerland

            Member of DasScrumTeam.de

            blog: http://scrum-breakfast.com
            tel: +41 44 586 6450
            cell: +41 79 422 6722
            skype: peterstev

          • Alan Dayley

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 12, 2010
                Nice, although it doesn't look your family is pairing that well ;-)

                OK if I reprint?

                Cheers,

                Peter

                On 12.09.10 20:22, Alan Dayley wrote:

[...]

              • Michael Vizdos
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 12, 2010
                  Hola,

                  I did a cartoon about this topic a few years ago -- you are free to include it on your sites (or have a quick laugh).

                  It is good to see Scrum gaining traction outside of IT :).

                  http://www.implementingscrum.com/2007/06/04/whos-your-product-owner/

                  Thank you,

                  - Mike Vizdos
                    www.michaelvizdos.com
                    www.implementingscrum.com

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 13, 2010
                      Hi Simon

                      On 12.09.10 19:17, Simon Roberts wrote:
                      > We've applied Scrum in quite a few family "situations" here in Berlin. I'll see if I can get my 10
                      > year old to write about them.

                      That would be cool! And very Scrum.

                      Cheers,

                      Peter

                      --
                      Peter Stevens, CSM, CSPO, CSP
                      Independent Scrum Trainer and Coach
                      Sierra-Charlie Consulting | Zurich | Switzerland

                      Member of DasScrumTeam.de

                      blog: http://scrum-breakfast.com
                      tel: +41 44 586 6450
                      cell: +41 79 422 6722
                      skype: peterstev
                    • Wouter Lagerweij
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 13, 2010
                        Hi Peter,

                        Very interesting, I'll certainly will be following your blog.

                        As a father of 3 (twin girls, almost 7 yrs old, and a 5 yr old son), I do appreciate all the different ways in which we can use help managing the family...

                        My wife has a M.Sc. in pedagogy, and lots of work experience dealing with more difficult situations. She's remarked more than once on similarities to her work approaches and some of the things I was telling her about using Scrum. Visual progress; frequent and public updates; one-on-one teaching (actually, I was talking about Pair Programming, but there were enough similarities:-); and lots of group-dynamics things.

                        At home, she has used things like sticker cards on the door, where the kids can put a sticker on after doing a certain task (sometimes linked to an 'event' (like eating pancakes:-), when the card is full). Maybe soon we'll start a real scrum/kanban board, though. It might be nice to introduce when the kids start getting home-work from school.

                        Wouter

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 19, 2010
                          Hi Mike,

                          Thanks, yes, it's perfect for something I wanted to write on the daily scrum and family life. It will post in a few days, as soon as I have an OK from my Product Owner ;-)

                          Cheers,

                          Peter

                          On 12.09.10 20:42, Michael Vizdos wrote:

[...]

                        • Mark Levison
                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 20, 2010
                            On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 6:51 AM, Wouter Lagerweij <wouter@...> wrote:

[...]

                            I'm very interested in what you do currently. Perhaps you could send pictures? Maybe even a guest post for Peter?

                            In addition to the similarities I would like to hear where this breaks down.

                            BTW Peter when you've gathered stories from a few sources I would love to write this up for InfoQ.

                            Cheers
                            Mark Levison
                          • Wouter Lagerweij
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 22, 2010
                              On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 9:42 PM, Mark Levison <mark@...> wrote:
[...]

                              I know my wife has written a few of these things down in a book on twins she wrote last year. Dutch only, alas.  I'll see whether I can use that, comparing it to scrum, to do a post (on my own blog, or if I think it's good enough I'll send it to Peter:-).

                              We've recently started doing a rotating maintenance role ('helper of the week'), which the kids seem to love. When they're the helper, they're allowed to help set the table, do all kinds of small chores, and they also get some perks such as the 'good' seat in the car, and picking what's for dinner once in that week. The fact that it is rotating does wonders in avoiding clashes between the kids fighting for those kind of things. And they're still young enough that the helping out is sometimes something they fight over. (The Scenario is: "No, *I* am setting the table!", "But I wanna help!", "Kids, watch out with those knives!")

                              In addition to the similarities I would like to hear where this breaks down.

                              Plenty of places, I'm sure, as we're not aiming to be Agile in the household. And with kids you have to be more directive at times than you'd be in a grown-up team:-)

                              I'll post back when I've written something.

                              Wouter
                            • Peter Stevens (calendar)

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Sep 26, 2010
                                    On 22.09.10 11:23, Wouter Lagerweij wrote:

[...]

                                    Hi Wouter,

                                    I think you've touched on an interesting point: How self organizing can your kids be? When do you have to switch to parent mode? When is a line manager justified in returning to directive command and control?

                                    I'd love to reprint you post and am happy to clean up the English.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Peter

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 26, 2010
                                      Good stuff!

                                      I recently added this to twitter (from @mvizdos) and thank you!

                                      Also if you are on twitter now --- interesting hashtag #sgphx (Scrum Alliance Gathering in Phoenix Arizona about Scrum outside of Software...).

                                      Thank you,

                                      - Mike Vizdos
                                        www.michaelvizdos.com
                                        www.implementingscrum.com