Re: [scrumdevelopment] Questions about "To Verify" and "Done"

  • Maurice le Rutte
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 8, 2010
      Op 7-9-2010 22:42, daswartz@prodigy schreef:

      > So teams who used to move tasks on their board, but stopped
      > doing that lose their capability to do big stories? And they
      > have to handle that by doing more upfront analysis in order to
      > break down their items into smaller chunks?

      Yes. But the amount of up-front analysis required to break stories
      into smaller chunks is usually very small; on the order of an hour or
      two at most for a very large story. And, the value of having smaller
      stories is quite large for almost all teams.

      That's rather odd. I would then advise to keep moving tasks on your board. You won't need the extra hours per big story to do the big analysis upfront and you will still be capable of doing big stories if you'd want to.

      Working with the product owner to split stories into vertical
      slices that make sense outside the technical realm is a learned skill.
      It will take a little more time until the team and product owner get
      used to it. Dave Smith just posted a message with a sample of a
      breakdown of a large story on this list in message:
      http://yhoo.it/cwQ5Qf

      Doug Swartz

      To me it is a bad example. Like Ilja mentioned in a follow up "In fact, all this needs is an email address where I can send my application, as far as I can tell". All the other stories are, for me at least, pulled out of a high hat.

      It all comes down to what you call a big story. If the story is larger than the team thinks they can accomplish in a single sprint then it is too big. If you have a sprint with multiple items and can commit to it then I can't see what's too big about a single item.

      One of the upsides of medium sized items is that in a sprint the team and the product owner, who both are responsible for reaching the sprint's goal, have some wiggle room in the scope. And that's part of managing a successful sprint execution too.

      If doing this helps you, by all means do it and tell others how it helped you. Just don't stare yourself blind on it, there may be merits in other practices too.

      Maurice.

      --
      http://www.scrummaster.nl / http://twitter.com/scrumnl