What is agile coach program to adopt Agile?

  • Asad
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 7, 2010
      Hi Folks

      You know, some companies hire external agile coaches to adopt Agile in Their organizations. I am an Agile coach but in my company and i don't have external coach experience. I want to know something about external coaches :

      * What is their Contract title ? "Agile Adoption Contract" , "Improvement organization performance" , or ...

      * what They do Guarantee ? "EX. I Guarantee: this organization will be Agile in 1 month" or "I Guarantee: this organization will create Valuable Software?" or ...

      * What's can loose the coach Guarantee or Contract? "if your Developers Don't listen to me" or "if your Developers Don't Do My orders" or ...

      * Is there any Simple program for adopt Agile ? Example :

      We will have 3 days Study (Agile principles , Scrum Method , TDD and Other theories) , So we will start 2 simple Sprints , After sprint We will retrospective sprint And ...

      I look some thing like this on Agile books And Articles , but i can't find any thing.

      * How Long the adoption will be take ? (1 month ? 3 sprints ? or ... )

      * Tell me about external coaches price.

      I know some of these question looks stupid, but i need these answers.

      Regards

      Asad Safari
    • Nayan Hajratwala
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7, 2010
        On Sep 7, 2010, at 5:03 PM, Asad wrote:

        > Hi Folks
        >
        > You know, some companies hire external agile coaches to adopt Agile in Their organizations. I am an Agile coach but in my company and i don't have external coach experience. I want to know something about external coaches :
        >
        > * What is their Contract title ? "Agile Adoption Contract" , "Improvement organization performance" , or ...

        I prefer Agile Guru, and that all staff refer to me as Mr. Agile Guru, Sir.

        > * what They do Guarantee ? "EX. I Guarantee: this organization will be Agile in 1 month" or "I Guarantee: this organization will create Valuable Software?" or ...

        I guarantee total project success within 1 month.

        > * What's can loose the coach Guarantee or Contract? "if your Developers Don't listen to me" or "if your Developers Don't Do My orders" or ...

        "If you don't do everything I say, then you will fail."

        > * Is there any Simple program for adopt Agile ?

        Yes!

        > Example :
        >
        > We will have 3 days Study (Agile principles , Scrum Method , TDD and Other theories) , So we will start 2 simple Sprints , After sprint We will retrospective sprint And ...

        That sounds perfect. I think I'll use that for my next client.

        > I look some thing like this on Agile books And Articles , but i can't find any thing.

        I've got a book on this in the hopper. I can sell you a copy for a small fee...

        > * How Long the adoption will be take ? (1 month ? 3 sprints ? or ... )

        Yes. 1 months or 3 sprints is about right.

        > * Tell me about external coaches price.

        How much do you have?

        > I know some of these question looks stupid, but i need these answers.

        Just joking of course :-) Real answers to follow.
      • Nayan Hajratwala
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 7, 2010
          On Sep 7, 2010, at 5:03 PM, Asad wrote:

          > Hi Folks
          >
          > You know, some companies hire external agile coaches to adopt Agile in Their organizations. I am an Agile coach but in my company and i don't have external coach experience. I want to know something about external coaches :
          >
          > * What is their Contract title ? "Agile Adoption Contract" , "Improvement organization performance" , or ...

          I don't think there is any sort of standard. I typically go by "Agile Coach", but am happy to change it to accommodate an organization's contracting requirements. i.e. some places bring me in as "Senior Developer", "Project Coach", etc.

          > * what They do Guarantee ? "EX. I Guarantee: this organization will be Agile in 1 month" or "I Guarantee: this organization will create Valuable Software?" or ...

          I have never offered any guarantee other than to help as much as I can.

          > * What's can loose the coach Guarantee or Contract? "if your Developers Don't listen to me" or "if your Developers Don't Do My orders" or ...

          I think starting off an engagement with words like these would immediately result in a loss of trust, which IMHO is the most important thing that needs to exist between a Coach and the team.

          > * Is there any Simple program for adopt Agile ?

          No.

          > Example :
          >
          > We will have 3 days Study (Agile principles , Scrum Method , TDD and Other theories) , So we will start 2 simple Sprints , After sprint We will retrospective sprint And ...

          I imagine all coaches have their own "kickstart" approach, but bringing in an agile coach is really just the beginning of a long journey. The coach is unlikely to make people change, but hopefully, s/he will be able to provide the seeds to allow the team to learn and grown.

          > I look some thing like this on Agile books And Articles , but i can't find any thing.
          >
          > * How Long the adoption will be take ? (1 month ? 3 sprints ? or ... )

          I think it depends on the people, and there really is no "completion" of agile adoption.

          > * Tell me about external coaches price.

          I expect you'll find a wide range here based on experience.

          Hope this helps!
        • Adam Sroka
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 7, 2010
            On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Asad <safari_asad@...> wrote:

            > Hi Folks
            >
            > You know, some companies hire external agile coaches to adopt Agile in Their organizations. I am an Agile coach but in my company and i don't have external coach experience. I want to know something about external coaches :
            >
            > * What is their Contract title ? "Agile Adoption Contract" , "Improvement organization performance" , or ...

            I doubt there is any consensus on this. Why does it matter to you?

            > * what They do Guarantee ? "EX. I Guarantee: this organization will be Agile in 1 month" or "I Guarantee: this organization will create Valuable Software?" or ...

            As a consultant it is foolhardy to guarantee anything other than some
            sort of SLA. Generally the client knows what they want to get out of
            it, and you can come up with some sort of plan to get there, but there
            will always be impediments along the way that you have to approach
            opportunistically. The real problems are always hidden at least a
            layer or two deeper than they want to look (at first.)

            > * What's can loose the coach Guarantee or Contract? "if your Developers Don't listen to me" or "if your Developers Don't Do My orders" or ...

            Developers are rarely the problem. Generally the management hires
            consultants to improve the team, and it becomes the consultant's job
            to hand management a mirror.

            That said, if neither management nor the team in interested in change
            you should run away quickly. Often this looks something like: "We are
            already doing all of this Agile stuff. Please tell us that it is
            good." That's when you should disappear in a little puff of smoke like
            in the cartoons.

            > * Is there any Simple program for adopt Agile ? Example :
            >
            > We will have 3 days Study (Agile principles , Scrum Method , TDD and Other theories) , So we will start 2 simple Sprints , After sprint We will retrospective sprint And ...

            There are at least as many versions of this as there are Agile
            consultants and coaches. You should come up with something simple that
            works for you and then adjust it based on feedback. I heard a little
            birdy sing, "Responding to change over following a plan."

            > I look some thing like this on Agile books And Articles , but i can't find any thing.
            >
            > * How Long the adoption will be take ? (1 month ? 3 sprints ? or ... )

            42.

            > * Tell me about external coaches price.

            Generally they charge an hourly rate that is on par with other skilled
            IT or management consultants.

            > I know some of these question looks stupid, but i need these answers.

            Why? What is the problem that you are trying to solve?
          • George Dinwiddie
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 7, 2010
              Asad,

              On 9/7/10 5:03 PM, Asad wrote:
              > Hi Folks
              >
              > You know, some companies hire external agile coaches to adopt Agile
              > in Their organizations. I am an Agile coach but in my company and i
              > don't have external coach experience. I want to know something about
              > external coaches :
              >
              > * What is their Contract title ? "Agile Adoption Contract" ,
              > "Improvement organization performance" , or ...

              Usually mine are entitled "Proposal" or "Statement of Work." Sometimes
              they're just an email.

              > * what They do Guarantee ? "EX. I Guarantee: this organization will
              > be Agile in 1 month" or "I Guarantee: this organization will create
              > Valuable Software?" or ...

              I guarantee satisfaction, but I don't wait the entire contract period to
              check that. I don't guarantee results--that's up to the client.

              > * What's can loose the coach Guarantee or Contract? "if your
              > Developers Don't listen to me" or "if your Developers Don't Do My
              > orders" or ...
              >
              > * Is there any Simple program for adopt Agile ? Example :
              >
              > We will have 3 days Study (Agile principles , Scrum Method , TDD and
              > Other theories) , So we will start 2 simple Sprints , After sprint We
              > will retrospective sprint And ...

              The "simple program" is to advise as conditions warrant. Every
              situation is different.

              > I look some thing like this on Agile books And Articles , but i can't
              > find any thing.
              >
              > * How Long the adoption will be take ? (1 month ? 3 sprints ? or ...
              > )

              It depends on the client organization.

              > * Tell me about external coaches price.

              I'll need to know more about your situation before I can make a
              proposal. Contact me off-list if that's what you want.

              > I know some of these question looks stupid, but i need these
              > answers.

              Why? And, given you have these questions, are you really up for
              coaching? You might profit from Peter Block's book, Flawless Consulting
              ( http://amzn.to/bZC21F ) which is targeted for both internal and
              external consultants. Also, you might want to read Rachel Davies' book,
              Agile Coaching ( http://amzn.to/bDtJPY ).

              - George

            • PeteCRuth@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 7, 2010
                Pretty good post...Funny, too! Unfortunately, I do hear some pretty much like this in the "real" world...

                Regards,

                Pete

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 7, 2010
                  Thank you

                  * What is their Contract title ? "Agile Adoption Contract" , "Improvement organization performance" , or ...

                  >> I don't think there is any sort of standard. I typically go by "Agile Coach",but am happy to change it to accommodate an organization's contracting requirements. i.e. some places bring me in as "Senior Developer", "Project Coach", etc.

                  >> Usually mine are entitled "Proposal" or "Statement of Work." Sometimes they're just an email.

                  * what They do Guarantee ?

                  >> I have never offered any guarantee other than to help as much as I can.

                  >> I guarantee satisfaction, but I don't wait the entire contract period to check that. I don't guarantee results--that's up to the client.

                  You said that : we don't guarantee anything , But The Organization who Hire me , don't like this. We want create a contract : in Contract we most have Title : George said that "Statement of Work". OK , I accept it , But What about contract content?

                  In this Contract My tasks most visible or my results most visible. The results is type of guarantee , That I said:"Finally This Things will be my result of working for you". Or Write : "I as an Agile Coach will help this company to transfer to Agile".

                  Do you have any Sample Contract for me? I need Some External Agile Coach contracts.

                  * What's can loose the coach Guarantee or Contract? "if your Developers Don't listen to me" or "if your Developers Don't Do My orders" or ...

                  My mean was , What's impediments of Agile transition Or impediments of Agile Coach working?

                  Thanks to Guidance

                  Regrads

                  Asad Safari
                • Adam Sroka
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 7, 2010
                    These sound like questions for an attorney and *not* for the Scrum
                    Development list. Even if you get the advice you are looking for here
                    I think it would be foolish to take it. It sounds to me like you are
                    already headed for trouble if you are negotiating with parties who are
                    asking for some sort of guarantee (When you don't even know what you
                    should be guaranteeing.) Seriously, get a lawyer who knows the law
                    where you will be working, or better yet just walk away.

                    On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 10:45 PM, Asad <safari_asad@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you
                    >
                    > * What is their Contract title ? "Agile Adoption Contract" , "Improvement organization performance" , or ...
                    >
                    > >> I don't think there is any sort of standard. I typically go by "Agile Coach",but am happy to change it to accommodate an organization's contracting requirements. i.e. some places bring me in as "Senior Developer", "Project Coach", etc.
                    >
                    > >> Usually mine are entitled "Proposal" or "Statement of Work." Sometimes they're just an email.
                    >
                    > * what They do Guarantee ?
                    >
                    > >> I have never offered any guarantee other than to help as much as I can.
                    >
                    > >> I guarantee satisfaction, but I don't wait the entire contract period to check that. I don't guarantee results--that's up to the client.
                    >
                    > You said that : we don't guarantee anything , But The Organization who Hire me , don't like this. We want create a contract : in Contract we most have Title : George said that "Statement of Work". OK , I accept it , But What about contract content?
                    >
                    > In this Contract My tasks most visible or my results most visible. The results is type of guarantee , That I said:"Finally This Things will be my result of working for you". Or Write : "I as an Agile Coach will help this company to transfer to Agile".
                    >
                    > Do you have any Sample Contract for me? I need Some External Agile Coach contracts.
                    >
                    > * What's can loose the coach Guarantee or Contract? "if your Developers Don't listen to me" or "if your Developers Don't Do My orders" or ...
                    >
                    > My mean was , What's impediments of Agile transition Or impediments of Agile Coach working?
                    >
                    > Thanks to Guidance
                    >
                    > Regrads
                    >
                    > Asad Safari

                  • George Dinwiddie
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 8, 2010
                      Hi, Assad,

                      On 9/8/10 1:45 AM, Asad wrote:
                      > You said that : we don't guarantee anything , But The Organization
                      > who Hire me , don't like this. We want create a contract : in
                      > Contract we most have Title : George said that "Statement of Work".
                      > OK , I accept it , But What about contract content?

                      What does this organization propose for a contract? When working with
                      an organization that insists on a contract, I take theirs and then cross
                      out anything I find unacceptable.

                      > In this Contract My tasks most visible or my results most visible.
                      > The results is type of guarantee , That I said:"Finally This Things
                      > will be my result of working for you". Or Write : "I as an Agile
                      > Coach will help this company to transfer to Agile".

                      I know of no way to guarantee the results of coaching. Instead, I will
                      describe the client's current situation as I understand it, including
                      the results they hope to accomplish. I will outline the initial plan of
                      action, and state that we will meet regularly to assess the situation
                      and replan accordingly.

                      > Do you have any Sample Contract for me? I need Some External Agile
                      > Coach contracts.

                      A contract can be anything the two parties want it to be. I suggest you
                      think about what you'd like to specify in a contract, and what you'd
                      like to NOT specify to allow yourself the flexibility to deal with the
                      actual situation in the most effective manner possible.

                      > * What's can loose the coach Guarantee or Contract? "if your
                      > Developers Don't listen to me" or "if your Developers Don't Do My
                      > orders" or ...
                      >
                      > My mean was , What's impediments of Agile transition Or impediments
                      > of Agile Coach working?

                      I am always surprised by the things that come up during the engagement.
                      The world is unpredictable.

                      > Thanks to Guidance

                      I don't know what is your situation that's prompting these questions.
                      Adam Sroka gave you good advice to contact a lawyer if you're being
                      asked to enter a contract. From your questions, I wonder if you're
                      ready to enter into a consulting coach role, if that's what you're
                      contemplating. There is a lot to the business of consulting that you
                      won't learn in an email.

                      - George