micro projects

  • w6rabbit
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 24, 2002
      How would you handle this?

      Many of the projects consist of "scripts" written in a proprietary
      language and only last about one programmer-week.

      The programmers are already organized into teams of about 5, grouped
      by similarity of projects.

      The projects don't start at the time, but overlap like items on a
      typical gant chart.

      I want the cooperation and communication engendered by Scrum, but I
      can't see how sprints would work.

      Some of the teams have larger multi-person projects but I need to
      organize my process so that people can get moved back and forth
      without getting confused.

      Thanks for any ideas.

      Brad.
    • Linda Rising
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 24, 2002
        Hi Brad,

        It's really difficult to jump in and give advice without being right
        there -- but to get

        "the cooperation and communication engendered by Scrum"

        I would use Scrum meetings -- the most powerful component of the whole
        approach
        IMHO :-)! I've got a couple of articles on what I have seen happen in
        these meetings.
        You can find these at www.lindarising.org -- click on Articles -- look
        for Agile Meetings
        and the Scrum article in IEEE Software.

        We even used them with a test team that had a week to finish integration
        testing.

        Linda

        w6rabbit wrote:

        >How would you handle this?
        >
        >Many of the projects consist of "scripts" written in a proprietary
        >language and only last about one programmer-week.
        >
        >The programmers are already organized into teams of about 5, grouped
        >by similarity of projects.
        >
        >The projects don't start at the time, but overlap like items on a
        >typical gant chart.
        >
        >I want the cooperation and communication engendered by Scrum, but I
        >can't see how sprints would work.
        >
        >Some of the teams have larger multi-person projects but I need to
        >organize my process so that people can get moved back and forth
        >without getting confused.
        >
        >Thanks for any ideas.
        >
        >Brad.

      • w6rabbit
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 26, 2002
          --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., Linda Rising <risingl@a...> wrote:
          > Hi Brad,
          >
          > It's really difficult to jump in and give advice without being
          right
          > there
          Sure.

          > I would use Scrum meetings -- the most powerful component of the
          whole
          > approach
          The scrum meetings make sense to me.
          It was the sprints and the backlog
          that I couldn't see how to modify.

          Would you just start with the SCRUM
          and see how everything else evolved
          around it?

          > I've got a couple of articles on what I have seen happen in
          > these meetings.
          Thanks, these are very helpful.

          Brad.
        • Mike Cohn
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 26, 2002

            Brad—

            If you get creative there is probably a way to combine some of the short tasks you describe into cohesive sprints. For example, can you combine the week long tasks such that everyone finishes on 8/15? If so, consider that a sprint and if someone starts to slip (maybe heading toward 8/17) then one of the other people can shift over and help finish everything by 8/15 rather than starting a new task and letting another slip. Doing this may help the group think of themselves as more of a team rather than a collection of individuals doing similar jobs, which they may feel based on the task descriptions you gave. If you get them thinking as a team and using scrum you’ll probably find yourself able to get more done during each sprint.

            --Mike

            > It's really difficult to jump in and give advice without being
            right
            > there
            Sure.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 13, 2002
              Here's an interesting "meeting" story. My husband works for a *very* small software
              company. Last week there were unexpected lay-offs and now the small teams are
              even smaller. Essential expertise is gone. Everyone is disheartened.

              My husband had the bright idea of having a Scrum meeting without Scrumming :-)!
              All the teams meet together -- a couple of times a week -- they had their first
              meeting day before yesterday. My husband was really excited and happy to tell
              me that the "meeting" was already working.

              The teams feel better because they can reach out to each other. They are uncovering
              resident expertise that can help them even though important team members are no
              longer around. The most impressive result is that people are asking for help when
              my husband feels that most of them would have crawled into a hole and struggled
              alone to meet the overwhelming new challenges. Even some of the veterans have
              stopped by when they know someone has knowledge of a tool or a customer or
              a board. Even though these teams are producing different products, talking about
              what they did yesterday, what held them up, and what they hope to do tomorrow
              helps.

              You can't ask for more than that -- when your husband is an enthusiastic fan :-)!

              w6rabbit wrote:
              --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., Linda Rising <risingl@a...> wrote:
              Hi Brad,

              It's really difficult to jump in and give advice without being
              right
              there
              Sure.

              I would use Scrum meetings -- the most powerful component of the
              whole
              approach
              The scrum meetings make sense to me.
              It was the sprints and the backlog
              that I couldn't see how to modify.

              Would you just start with the SCRUM
              and see how everything else evolved
              around it?

              I've got a couple of articles on what I have seen happen in
              these meetings.
              Thanks, these are very helpful.

              Brad.

              Will You Find True Love?
              Will You Meet the One?
              Free Love Reading by phone!
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/7dY7FD/R_ZEAA/Ey.GAA/9EfwlB/TM

            • Laurent Bossavit
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 13, 2002
                Linda,

                Wonderful story - casts Scrum as an effective antidote to "Layoff
                Survivor Syndrome" ? See :

                http://triadcareers.jobcontrolcenter.com/pics/triadcareers/pdfs/v13_3_
                93.pdf

                Cheers,

                -[Morendil]-
                This tagline reserved for internal kernel use.
              • Linda Rising
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 14, 2002
                  I've been a technical person all my life -- but an extrovert --
                  surrounded by introverts.
                  I never had any trouble talking to the other guys but this is the first
                  time I've found a
                  way to get them to talk to each other :-)! It's magic -- somehow there
                  are rules, so
                  they follow the rules and end up saying what they need from each other
                  -- amazing!

                  Thanks for the pointer to the interesting site -- I certainly have lots
                  of friends who
                  are suffering -- on one side or the other :-(!

                  Laurent Bossavit wrote:

                  >Linda,
                  >
                  >Wonderful story - casts Scrum as an effective antidote to "Layoff
                  >Survivor Syndrome" ? See :
                  >
                  >http://triadcareers.jobcontrolcenter.com/pics/triadcareers/pdfs/v13_3_
                  >93.pdf
                  >
                  >Cheers,
                  >
                  >-[Morendil]-
                  >This tagline reserved for internal kernel use.

                • Ken Schwaber
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 14, 2002
                    I'm glad that it helped and the socialization continued; I'm sorry for the circumstances.
                    Ken