Re: Product Owner Identification Problems

  • Don MacIntyre
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2010
      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Rick Dahl <rdahl@...> wrote:

      > We are currently undergoing some changes in our structure and we are trying
      > to set a priority list/road map using a committee of 10 people. Everything
      > I have read and even a little bit of my common sense says this is not going
      > to work. You need to have someone own those decisions. How do I try and
      > communicate this to people 2 - 3 levels above me?
      >
      > Thanks for your help,
      >
      > Rick

      Theoretically your corporation should have goals, and your projects should be in support of these goals in some fashion. You should be able to ask any upper-level manager what are their goals for the organization.

      A committee is fine for strategizing on projects that should meet these goals, but unless you have a blank-check to do whatever you want, at some point upper management should be buying in to the selected projects.

      Once a project is selected, you do need a single Product Owner for that project.

      Also, be careful with roadmaps. If they become too detailed and have very specific milestones about exactly what will be done when, you'll get wet. (Sitting under a waterfall.;)

      -don