Re: [scrumdevelopment] What to do when the team is not firing on all cylinders?

  • Maurice le Rutte
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 1, 2010
      I've read some excellent responses in this thread to which I have little to add. However in your post there is an intriguing line that says "this team is treated as an operations type team, but is still expected to run as an Agile Scrum team".

      Who expects the team to be doing Scrum, but who has the power to ignore all that and treat it differently? If they are supposed to be doing Scrum and it is backed by management I assume there is a ScrumMaster. Then why doesn't the ScrumMaster shout a big 'no' when interrupting work is brought into the sprint?

      Maurice.
      --
      http://www.scrummaster.nl / http://twitter.com/scrumnl
    • Matheus Henrique Gorino
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 22, 2010
        Do your management knows that you are NOT doing Scrum already?
        When you say "they do not want to leave Scrum", I'd say "they want to implement Scrum". And if they want to implement Scrum, they need to really buy the idea, to play the game, and stop disrupting the process.
        What I feel from what I read is that they do not want do Scrum, they just want do stick to the process you are running today, a Kanban with some Scrum practices that you can call anything but Scrum.
        In this case, my discussion with them would be something like: "We do not do Scrum today. We can't do Scrum because we can't follow some of it's basic rules. We can do Kanban and put some Scrum practices in place. And we need to understand what practices would bring value to our custom process."
        The division in Sprints, for example, seens to be waste. Doing retrospectives every two weeks or so might bring value. Prioritizing tickets might bring value. Planning the items that were in that 40% of the backlog might bring value. Daily Meetings might be waste. And so on.

        On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 4:15 PM, JackM <jack@...> wrote:

        There was very little in the way of actual advice on how to solve this problem. I think the answer to your question is ..

        1. identify the source of interruptions and track them on the burndown so everyone can see how the team is being affected.

        2. as was mentioned above. bring the interrupts into the sprint, track in it's own backlog for example and budget for the interrupts in the sprint.

        3. batch the delivery of solutions for interrupts. When i joined my current company it was natural for anyone in the company to go directly to the developer and ask them to fix something. They were delivering patch after patch after patch. Now we set a patch delivery cycle, everything get's batched and everything is managed within the sprint. It's amazing how when you share a patch schedule with your customers how accepting they are. This helps you to manage your resources more effectively and become more predictable.

        4. Find out why so many interrupts - usually this is a code quality issue. So figure out how to pay down this debt. We invested heavily in automation and unit tests. Eventually this will pay dividends.

        5. Pair program, share the knowledge then you have more flexibility to pull some folks off to deal with maintenance while the rest of the team works on the core sprint stuff. This role can be rotated assuming you have collective code ownership.

        Hope this helps
        jack
        www.agilebuddy.com