Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum Principle: Cross-Functional Team

    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 4, 2010
      Hello, Adam. On Wednesday, August 4, 2010, at 2:19:10 PM, you
      wrote:

      > Some of the Scrum folks say something like, "The PO decides what we
      > will build and the team decides how." What I was trying to say is
      > along those same lines. A team will not "figure out" what they need to
      > build, but the definition of "cross-functional team," as I understand
      > it, is that they have all the skills to figure out how to build the
      > what that is being asked for.

      Not much in the world operates according to definitions of this
      kind. They told me a lot of things that I was supposed to do, and
      wasn't supposed to do, in school. It didn't turn out that way.

      Same thing here. A cross-functional team is a local attempt at
      getting the best available people together. Such a team might have
      the ability to build an increment of software. That does not imply
      that they have the ability to invent new process elements fast
      enough to keep the wolf away from the door.

      > ... I suppose the question is: what set of skills is necessary for a
      > given team on a given project to become cross-functional? I'm inclined
      > to believe that this is not completely knowable at the start of the
      > project, because we still have to learn what we are doing. I think
      > that there are some things that we are very likely to want, such as a
      > team that is good at learning and adapting to whatever comes up.

      Yes. We do not often get this. Quite a few teams, with the best of
      will, are below average. I think we would do well to give them more
      of a clue than just to say "Inspect and Adapt, gang!"

      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      Do as you will, try to do it well. That's what I do.
    • Monde Hans
      Message 34 of 34 , Aug 6, 2010
        I think also team based organizations do need leaders and there should be a succession plan for CTO and the like.
        I read this book years ago before starting with scrum and it deals with some of your concerns.

        http://www.amazon.com/Empowered-Teams-Richard-S-Wellins/dp/1555425542/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281101525&sr=8-1

        M.

        On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Satish Thatte <smthatte@...> wrote:

        Hello Ron,