Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum Principle: Cross-Functional Team

  • Alan Dayley
    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 3 4:20 PM
      I'm confused by your email.

      Your two "If a team..." paragraphs seem to agree with the quoted paragraph.  Then you posit that the quoted paragraph is contrary to the Agile Manifesto.  So you support the quote but then find it troubling.

      And, if one is going to "blame" a method or framework for failure, wouldn't one need to have followed the method before blame can be attributed?

      I think I'm still something missing in your statements.  Are you in favor of cross-functional teams?  Why or why not?

      Alan

      On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Geoffrey <geoffrey_slinker@...> wrote:

      "From the Agile viewpoint, what we have here is a fundamental violation of the Scrum principle that the software must be done by a cross-functional team: a team that has all the skills needed to do the project. This team doesn't have the design skills to do the project … and therefore they are not an Agile team at all!"

      http://xprogramming.com/articles/can-doing-something-anti-agile-be-more-effective

      If a team has all of the skills needed to do a project then any process management methodology and any software development methodology would most likely be successful.

      If a team does not have the skills needed to do a project then any process management methodology and any software development methodology will fail.

      I find the quote at the beginning to be troubling in its implications. Is it saying, "Hey, you can't blame Agile because YOU didn't have a properly skilled team."

      Is this Scrum principle in conflict with "people before process"?

      Geoff

    • Monde Hans
      Message 34 of 34 , Aug 6 6:38 AM
        I think also team based organizations do need leaders and there should be a succession plan for CTO and the like.
        I read this book years ago before starting with scrum and it deals with some of your concerns.

        http://www.amazon.com/Empowered-Teams-Richard-S-Wellins/dp/1555425542/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281101525&sr=8-1

        M.

        On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Satish Thatte <smthatte@...> wrote:

        Hello Ron,