Scrum Principle: Cross-Functional Team

  • Geoffrey
    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 3 4:02 PM
      "From the Agile viewpoint, what we have here is a fundamental violation of the Scrum principle that the software must be done by a cross-functional team: a team that has all the skills needed to do the project. This team doesn't have the design skills to do the project … and therefore they are not an Agile team at all!"

      http://xprogramming.com/articles/can-doing-something-anti-agile-be-more-effective

      If a team has all of the skills needed to do a project then any process management methodology and any software development methodology would most likely be successful.

      If a team does not have the skills needed to do a project then any process management methodology and any software development methodology will fail.

      I find the quote at the beginning to be troubling in its implications. Is it saying, "Hey, you can't blame Agile because YOU didn't have a properly skilled team."

      Is this Scrum principle in conflict with "people before process"?

      Geoff
    • Monde Hans
      Message 34 of 34 , Aug 6 6:38 AM
        I think also team based organizations do need leaders and there should be a succession plan for CTO and the like.
        I read this book years ago before starting with scrum and it deals with some of your concerns.

        http://www.amazon.com/Empowered-Teams-Richard-S-Wellins/dp/1555425542/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281101525&sr=8-1

        M.

        On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Satish Thatte <smthatte@...> wrote:

        Hello Ron,