Re: [scrumdevelopment] Does daily scrum has to have so rigid structure?

  • Michael James
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 3, 2010
      On Aug 3, 2010, at 1:26 PM, BOONE Nadya wrote:

      > I am the Scrum Master for one such “radically co-located team” and am having a hard time breaking the feeling that the team is reporting to me, rather than to each other.

      I'm a fan of the ScrumMaster leaving the room in such situations. Get them in a tight circle around the taskboard, ask someone to keep track of impediments for you, and stand outside the door.

      --mj
    • Tony Pagliocco
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 3, 2010
        An old trick I read somewhere was that when the team is giving their reports - dont look at them , look down, look away, look at something else

        Make THEM talk to the team, not to you.

        On Aug 3, 2010, at 1:32 PM, Michael James wrote:

        > On Aug 3, 2010, at 1:26 PM, BOONE Nadya wrote:
        >
        >> I am the Scrum Master for one such “radically co-located team” and am having a hard time breaking the feeling that the team is reporting to me, rather than to each other.
        >
        > I'm a fan of the ScrumMaster leaving the room in such situations. Get them in a tight circle around the taskboard, ask someone to keep track of impediments for you, and stand outside the door.
        >
        > --mj

      • Adam Sroka
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 3, 2010
          On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 1:26 PM, BOONE Nadya
          <nadya.boone@...> wrote:

          > Adam wrote:
          >
          > >Second, there are highly functioning, radically co-located teams where the daily stand-up is tedious: "Yesterday Bob and I worked on the thing... Today we're >working on the other thing right here (on the board.) No obstacles." And Bob says, "Ditto." And I'm thinking, "This is five minutes of my life that I will never get >back." I have an answer for this scenario too, but I got verbally flogged the last time I suggested it. So, I'm going to let you figure it out for yourself. BTW, this is >rare. Maybe 1% of teams have this problem and not the prior one.
          >
          > I am the Scrum Master for one such “radically co-located team” and am having a hard time breaking the feeling that the team is reporting to me, rather than to each other.
          >

          > I’d be interested in anyone’s thoughts on how to change this.

          1) Don't show up. Tell them that something came up, and you are sorry
          you missed the stand-up. Ask how it went.

          2) Go for a couple of days without having the stand-up and see if
          anything breaks. Then try a week. Then try a whole Sprint. Retrospect
          after each attempt and find out what works best for your team. Many
          teams find that having the stand-up every day is crucial, but some
          only need to do it once a week, or never.

          (P.S. I know that some of you don't agree with this advice, but I
          recommend you try it *then* I'll listen to what you have to say about
          it ;-)
        • Angela Martin
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 3, 2010
            >> I am the Scrum Master for one such “radically co-located team” and am having a hard >> time breaking the feeling that the team is reporting to me, rather than to each other.
            >
            > I'm a fan of the ScrumMaster leaving the room in such situations.  Get them in a tight
            > circle around the taskboard, ask someone to keep track of impediments for you, and
            > stand outside the door.

            I have done this before too :)

            An alternative is to simply draw people's attention to what is
            happening, this can often be enough to help break a habit.

            Another thing to ponder might be, why? Is what you are seeing a
            symptom of something deeper. And if so, what might be the underlying
            cause?

            Cheers,
            Angela

            > --mj