Re: [scrumdevelopment] What is Bus Factor?

  • Patrick Debois
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
      Liked the lotto Planning one ;-)

      There is a similar test for servers:

      The 10th floor test , is a term first used by Steve Traugott from www.infrastructures.org It refers to the ability to take a random machine in your infrastructure , drop it from the 10th floor, and be able to restore your infrastructure to working within 5-10 minutes.

      http://www.krisbuytaert.be/blog/?q=node/41

      Patrick

      On 03/08/10 16:50, Steve Ropa wrote:
      wow, I thought I was the only one who had *actually* experienced the bus
      factor.  I had an essential guy get hit by a jeep.  The good news is that he
      was fine and able to come back to work a couple days later.  The bad news is
      that he told me recently that it took him two months and a trip to the
      Yukon(where the customer was) to fix the problems that came from someone
      having to pick up for him even for those two days.  Needless to say, I
      learned my lesson.  We were pairing promiscuously shortly after that event.

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
        Rumor has it that a project manager last year asked a colleague to get to work,
        as he had fever and stuff. But your story is significantly more interesting.

        Kind regards
        --
        Markus Gaertner
        http://blog.shino.de

        On 08/03/2010 04:50 PM, Steve Ropa wrote:
        > wow, I thought I was the only one who had *actually* experienced the bus
        > factor. I had an essential guy get hit by a jeep. The good news is that he
        > was fine and able to come back to work a couple days later. The bad news is
        > that he told me recently that it took him two months and a trip to the
        > Yukon(where the customer was) to fix the problems that came from someone
        > having to pick up for him even for those two days. Needless to say, I
        > learned my lesson. We were pairing promiscuously shortly after that event.

      • woynam
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
          I had a Product Owner once who was in a serious car accident. He was out for over a month, and working part time for a few months after coming back to work.

          Luckily, we had a fairly well-groomed backlog, so we simply kept chugging along based on the existing priorities.

          Mark

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Ropa" <theropas@...> wrote:

          > wow, I thought I was the only one who had *actually* experienced the bus
          > factor. I had an essential guy get hit by a jeep. The good news is that he
          > was fine and able to come back to work a couple days later. The bad news is
          > that he told me recently that it took him two months and a trip to the
          > Yukon(where the customer was) to fix the problems that came from someone
          > having to pick up for him even for those two days. Needless to say, I
          > learned my lesson. We were pairing promiscuously shortly after that event.

        • srinivas chillara
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3, 2010
            How about worrying about the earthquake factor?