Re: [scrumdevelopment] Does daily scrum has to have so rigid structure?

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2010
      On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 12:02 AM, <PeteCRuth@...> wrote:

      > Picky, picky, picky! I was, of course, alluding to the possibility of working in a distributed environment, with activities taking place in international time, across several time zones. Come to think of it, though, you've got a point: when it's beer time in Germany, it's beer time everywhere. Even California!

      In my experience a distributed team has less time to coordinate than a
      co-located team. For example, my company is distributed between the
      Northeast US and Southern California. The time difference is only
      three hours, but that means that:

      1) When the East Coast people get in (0900 EDT == 0600 PDT) the West
      Coast people are asleep or just beginning their commute.
      2) When the West Coast people get in (0900 PDT == 1200 EDT) the East
      Coast people are on their way to lunch.
      3) When the West Coast people are at lunch (1200 PDT == 1500 EDT) the
      East Coast people are wrapping up for the day (working and not wanting
      to be interrupted... in meetings... etc.)
      4) When the West Coast people are wrapping up (1500 PDT == 1800 EDT)
      the East Coast people are either already gone for the day, or really,
      really, ready to be.

      The net result is that there are at most three or four hours that are
      mutually convenient for the distributed team, and the timing always
      sucks.

      This can't be any better for a team that is distributed across
      multiple time zones. At the extreme, it means that people are working
      really hard to be available to each other at the expense of personal
      and family time.

      getting back to the original point:

      * On a collocated team the standup is about 15 / (8 * 60) = 3.125% --
      much more than you suggested.
      * On a distributed team the overlapping time is less and the
      coordination costs are higher. So, the numbers probably vary a bit,
      but I suggest they are @ 5-10% or more.