Re: [scrumdevelopment] Potential problems with opening up the backlog to everyone

  • Malcolm Anderson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 29, 2010
      My very, very, very short answer is

      "Experiment.  Open up the backlog for 6 months and find out how much effort it takes to keep the backlog clean and tidy"

      Will you need to clean up most of the Back Log Item?  Yep

      Will you need to insure that the person interviewing the person who submitted the Back Log Item, has the skill to get under the solution, to the root of the problem being pointed to?  Yep

      Will you get any useful value out of this experiment?  Only if you work at it.

      Malcolm

      On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 9:45 AM, ayqazi <ayqazi@...> wrote:

      Hi,

      I know that, ideally, the backlog should be opened up to everyone to add their ideas to (although NOT to prioritise or estimate, obviously).

      However, how would it be kept tidy? Everyone would likely not enter stories in the correct format, or enter duplicate stories, or enter requirements that really have no chance of being implemented either because they're too difficult or do not solve any worthwhile problem.

      It could obviously be regularly pruned and tidied, but in a medium or large organization, this would end up with the backlog needing regular pruning and this would end up as quite the impediment to getting any other work done.

      How could this be achieved?

      Thanks