Scrum Certification Exams

  • sjanvrinxx
    Message 1 of 58 , Jul 28 5:54 AM
      Can someone summarize the similarities/differences between the approach the Scurm Alliance is taking to certification exams and that of Ken Schwaber on Scrum.org?

      If Ken from his side and someone in an offical position at the Scrum Alliance can clarify this would be optimal.

      Thanks,

      Steve Janvrin.
    • Michael Sync
      Message 58 of 58 , Aug 1, 2010
        >>So guys, how about we cease cluttering the airwaves with this topic, which does not seem to have an end in sight, and which is not convincing anyone of the opposite point of view very much.

        Okay, Roy. I will stop here. :)

        Hi Ron,

        I still have an answer for your question.. I will directly email you... :)

        Thanks and Best Regards,
        Michael Sync

        Don't go the way life takes you.
        Take life the way you go

        http://michaelsync.net

        On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Roy Morien <roymorien@...> wrote:

        Frankly, I think this whole stream of conversation, which has generated more network traffic than any other topic, is rather irrelevant and adds nothing to the general body of knowledge.

        It is nionsense to ask if 'a course' is better than experience, because the quality of both the course and the experience can vary so much. A good, informative course is valuable for those who are interested in being informed. Reading books written by authoratative authors is a good way to learn, and get ideas, and indeed get inspiration. Having experience under the guidance of an experienced practitioner is pretty good too. Having experience all on your own may not be very useful, or may be quite useful, depending on the circumstances.

        There are many professional bodies around the world that it is compulsory to belong to if you are in a particular profession, and many that is is highly desirable to belong to. These have professional training requirements and exams, sometimes statutorally imposed. But, to be honest, I do not think the Scrum Alliance or any other 'Scrum body' has yet gained the general and professional acceptance to be able to be counted amongst those other professional bodies. I say this with all due respect to Ron and Ken et al who have lead our efforts intellectually and practically for a long time.

        As an educator, principally, I can see the usefulness and limitations on formal learning, and formal assessment. I have often been told by students that "I have learned more in the 6 months I have been working than you taught me in 3 years of my degree". Yeah, sure! The work experience is in a narrower area of endeavour, and the degree course never claimed to be a work-preparation training course. But this does demonstrate, in my view, that there is value in both. Unfortunately many students in university courses see that the object is to get a degree with as little learning as is possible. Most of the time a university course is the opportunity to have first sex, first beer, and first radical politics (particulary to attract the chicks). So attitude and intent definitely come into any discussion about experience versus training and so on.

        So guys, how about we cease cluttering the airwaves with this topic, which does not seem to have an end in sight, and which is not convincing anyone of the opposite point of view very much.

        Regards,
        Roy Morien