Re: [scrumdevelopment] (Customer and) Product Owner and Planning Poker?

  • Bachan Anand
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 23, 2010
      Mark,

      On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Mark Levison <mark@...> wrote:

      On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 5:37 AM, Peter Stevens (cal) <peterstev@...> wrote:
      Hi Bachan,

      On a related topic, I met an Agile (not specifically Scrum) Coach who said, "we invite the customer
      to participate in planning poker. The estimate is about complexity of a problem, not the work to
      solve it. So the customer -- who is actually solving the problem today -- is well positioned to
      understand and discuss the complexity of any particular story."

      But we've be around this several times recently. Planning Poker as described by Mike Cohn is an estimation of effort, not complexity. It's a proxy for time no more. Complexity factors in because it requires more effort.

      In my experience complexity is discussed and effort is estimated as part of planning poker activity.  I am still note sure whether PO participating in planning poker in itself is a concern when working with a framework that has transparency and collaboration as part of it's core values and principles.

      Cheers
      Mark Levison