scum meeting reporting

  • ronwahler@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2004
      Can people give me examples of what people report on during
      a 15 minute standup scrum meeting. I am getting feeback from
      the team that the 15 minute meeting is not that usefull and
      seems like it's just the team members giving management status.

      I need some concreat examples so I can help facilitate a better
      scum meeting.

      thanks,

      Ron Wahler
    • bschatz@primavera.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2004

        The Daily Scrum is for the specific purpose of the team members to discuss the contributions that each person has been able to make to the team. They provide this information to each other, not a manager, or even the ScrumMaster.

        Each person simply has to tell the team 1) What did they accomplish since the previous Scrum; 2) What are they planning to do today; 3) What impediments are in their way.....that's it. The ScrumMaster's role is to ensure that this process happens each day, and that it lasts for no longer than 15 minutes. The team should also check the Sprint backlog and ensure that everyone has updated it. They can decide if there are any actions are necessary to complete their Sprint objectives.

        There is a ceremonial aspect to this and it must be followed, otherwise it turns into a daily status meeting for management, and then you've defeated the purpose.

        Bob Schatz

        ronwahler@...

        10/08/2004 10:00 AM

        Please respond to
        scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com

        scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
        cc
        Subject
        [scrumdevelopment] scum meeting reporting

        Can people give me examples of what people report on during
        a 15 minute standup scrum meeting. I am getting feeback from
        the team that the 15 minute meeting is not that usefull and
        seems like it's just the team members giving management status.

        I need some concreat examples so I can help facilitate a better
        scum meeting.

        thanks,

        Ron Wahler

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        click here

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Mike Cohn
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2004
          I assume you're the manager. Skip a few meetings yet insist they have them.
          Stay in your office or cube and be "on a phone call" or something. They have
          to realize the meeting is making commitments to each other and has nothing
          to do with status TO a manager. Don't take notes during the meeting. (Even
          to write down an impediment you need to remove.) Keep the pace quick. 15
          minutes may be too long for the team--try to do it 5 or 10. Don't call on
          individuals--have each volunteer to speak in whatever order they choose.
          Just stand there and say, "someone get us started. Tell us what you did
          yesterday and what you'll accomplish today." Let each person speak, then ask
          the collective group the third question, "What impediments are in your way?"

          Good luck,

          --Mike Cohn
          www.mountaingoatsoftware.com
          www.userstories.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2004
            On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 14:00:41 -0000, ronwahler@...
            <ronwahler@...> wrote:

            > Can people give me examples of what people report on during
            > a 15 minute standup scrum meeting. I am getting feeback from
            > the team that the 15 minute meeting is not that usefull and
            > seems like it's just the team members giving management status.
            >
            > I need some concreat examples so I can help facilitate a better
            > scum meeting.

            "Yesterday, Bob & I finished the login module. We ended up using a
            state pattern that we think might work well for the shopping cart too.
            Today, I plan to work on the migration script; it should be done by
            tomorrow. What's in my way is that I still don't have a phone in my
            office."

            "Yesterday, I worked on the tax calculations. Is there anybody who
            could help me understand how the filter mechanism is supposed to work?
            It's not including the tax in the cart totals. I'm going to either
            finish that by noon or ask somebody else to take it over. Nothing else
            is in my way."

            "I finished the first round of test cases for product placement. The
            performance tests should be done by the end of the day."

            "I spent yesterday re-installing the database and the system. I think
            I have two or three more hours of that today." [I want the SM to pick
            up on the implicit impediment.]

            "I had meetings all day yesterday with the group we're working with
            next month. I'm going to start writing stories for the next iteration,
            but I probably won't finish today."

            I like it short and sweet. I'll allow a question for clarification,
            but if there's any followup, I'll ask them to meet afterwards to
            resolve it. (Especially early on, teams can start playing hot potato;
            then I'll definitely suggest moving on.)

            I think others have mentioned the differences between commitment and
            status. I think there's also a tiny celebration in there for each task
            that's done, each person's chance to say, "I'm shoulder-to-shoulder
            with the team."

            One thing our developers like to do is include just a little
            description of the technical approach (like mentioning "state" above);
            that takes it a little beyond reporting into helping share knowledge
            around.

            I do think that these meetings can vary in utility over time, and they
            can also seem less important than they are.

            --
            Bill Wake William.Wake@... www.xp123.com
          • Deb
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2004
              One of the things the ScrumMaster gets from this meeting is: the
              "temperature" of the team. What body language goes with each person's
              report? (are they Frustrated? Stuck? Discouraged? Proud? Relieved?
              Distracted?) You can't get this from the burndown (although the it
              does often provide indicators you still need to find out WHAT the
              indicators are pointing at). Most days everything will be fine, and so
              they don't see the point of the meeting. But you might catch morale
              issues or looming disasters early if you keep an eye out for days when
              things don't "feel ok".

              You can spot when a junior might need some support, and get a
              volunteer right at the meeting. If someone reports a technical
              problem, you can find out who else is impacted right away - or maybe
              someone else has found the solution and you can ask them to
              collaborate after meeting.

              There are a number of things that get communicated at this meeting
              which don't fit in the backlog!

              I don't know what to do about the team's feeling (when everything is
              going well) that the meeting is redundant. In my last project, I still
              required the meeting every day, simply because we were new to Scrum
              and I wanted to follow the form, to see what it yielded. You never
              know when the "not ok" day will surface... and you want to catch it as
              early as possible so the team can take action.

              deb

              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, ronwahler@y... wrote:

              > Can people give me examples of what people report on during
              > a 15 minute standup scrum meeting. I am getting feeback from
              > the team that the 15 minute meeting is not that usefull and
              > seems like it's just the team members giving management status.
              >
              > I need some concreat examples so I can help facilitate a better
              > scum meeting.
              >
              > thanks,
              >
              > Ron Wahler
            • Deb
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 9, 2004
                Great examples William. Comments inline below.

                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, William Wake
                <william.wake@g...> wrote:
                > On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 14:00:41 -0000, ronwahler@y...
                > <ronwahler@y...> wrote:
                >
                > > Can people give me examples of what people report on during
                > > a 15 minute standup scrum meeting. I am getting feeback from
                > > the team that the 15 minute meeting is not that usefull and
                > > seems like it's just the team members giving management status.
                > >
                > > I need some concreat examples so I can help facilitate a better
                > > scum meeting.
                >
                > "Yesterday, Bob & I finished the login module. We ended up using a
                > state pattern that we think might work well for the shopping cart too.
                > Today, I plan to work on the migration script; it should be done by
                > tomorrow. What's in my way is that I still don't have a phone in my
                > office."

                When this person asks for a phone on 4 successive days (or more, I've
                seen this happen) one of two things may happen: the team member
                understands that the ScrumMaster is still fighting obstacles on their
                behalf. Or, the tesm member feels that the ScrumMaster is not paying
                attention, and stops reporting impediments. Hmmm... ties in with
                another thread, doesn't it?

                Some teams keep a "blockages board" where the SM logs things they need
                to address. Things should be short-lived on this board, or else the
                backlog will have to be adjusted. Making blockages visible makes the
                SM visibly accountable for them. This can help teach the culture
                change inherent in Scrum: the SM is a "servant" to the team, and has
                accountabilities to them. An important point the team may not
                appreciate right away.

                > "Yesterday, I worked on the tax calculations. Is there anybody who
                > could help me understand how the filter mechanism is supposed to work?
                > It's not including the tax in the cart totals. I'm going to either
                > finish that by noon or ask somebody else to take it over. Nothing else
                > is in my way."
                >
                > "I finished the first round of test cases for product placement. The
                > performance tests should be done by the end of the day."
                >
                > "I spent yesterday re-installing the database and the system. I think
                > I have two or three more hours of that today." [I want the SM to pick
                > up on the implicit impediment.]

                Sometimes this person makes exactly this same report for 3 days. on
                day 2 you pick up on their frustration and uncertainty, on day 3 you
                can tell they're seeing light at the end of the tunnel. But if not, if
                the same report comes in for days with continued FUD undertones, you
                might want to check with them afterwards to see if they need (but
                can't ask for) help. Different personalities react differently to
                Scrum. The Scrum helps you spot this - another valuable aspect the
                team may not see because they are not looking for it.

                > "I had meetings all day yesterday with the group we're working with
                > next month. I'm going to start writing stories for the next iteration,
                > but I probably won't finish today."
                >
                > I like it short and sweet. I'll allow a question for clarification,
                > but if there's any followup, I'll ask them to meet afterwards to
                > resolve it. (Especially early on, teams can start playing hot potato;
                > then I'll definitely suggest moving on.)
                >
                > I think others have mentioned the differences between commitment and
                > status. I think there's also a tiny celebration in there for each task
                > that's done, each person's chance to say, "I'm shoulder-to-shoulder
                > with the team."
                >
                > One thing our developers like to do is include just a little
                > description of the technical approach (like mentioning "state" above);
                > that takes it a little beyond reporting into helping share knowledge
                > around.
                >
                > I do think that these meetings can vary in utility over time, and they
                > can also seem less important than they are.

                Absolutely true, and worth restating:
                Dailing Standup Meetings can seem less important than they really are.
                deb