Re: [scrumdevelopment] Burndown chart and Scrum meeting

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 8, 2004
      On Friday, October 8, 2004, at 2:20:51 AM, Shimmings, Ian wrote:

      > After trying a number of fairly unsuccessful ways to get the estimates
      > down somewhere, we started simply writing the sprint backlog tasks and
      > estimates (one weeks worth) on a large white board. Everyone seemed to
      > like it and it proved very successful - still using it in sprint 8.

      Cool. Oddly enough, that sounds like the exact way we did it on the C3
      project, and the way that I teach when I've done XP Immersion classes. It
      continues to be my favorite approach.

      A team I'm working with just now tapes their story cards up on a foam board
      and tapes the task and test cards underneath. Very neat. I like the
      whiteboard thing because it can be read from further away.

      > I think the key to it working was that THE TEAM recognised the need for
      > the estimates to be written somewhere and then THE TEAM worked out how
      > best to do it. It also helped that we started colour coding so red
      > numbers for estimates and green zeros and lines through the days for
      > done. It became a great motivator for the team, a useful 'at-a-glance'
      > view of progress and gave visiting sponsors/managers a really tangible
      > view of progress.

      I guess I need to reread the Scrum book. I had forgotten that Scrum
      included tasks and task estimates.

      It's easier to act your way into a new way of thinking
      than to think your way into a new way of acting. --Millard Fuller