Re: [scrumdevelopment] Sprint Burndown - What we are measuring

  • Kevlin Henney
    Message 1 of 47 , Jul 4 3:11 AM
      Nice article! Good points, well paced.

      The discussion of burndowns and progress forms some of what I discuss
      in the second half of a talk from NDC ("Individuals and Interactions
      over Processes and Tools") a couple of weeks ago:

      http://streaming.ndc2010.no/tcs/?id=1272299E-1DD1-4C11-B7A3-EBDE5B11A5B7

      Kevlin

      On 30 June 2010 13:08, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:
      > Michael,
      >
      > I don't know the message you mean, but perhaps my explanation at
      > http://idiacomputing.com/pub/BetterSoftware-BurnCharts.pdf will be off
      > use to you.
      >
      >  - George
      >
      > On 6/29/10 2:23 PM, Michael Wollin wrote:
      >>

      >> Someone posted a quote I want to use about sprint burndowns measuring
      >> progress or value versus work. I can’t find that message. We are burning
      >> down ideal hours and burning up added ideal hours, but we do this daily.
      >> My feeling is we are not measuring what we should. Note that we cannot
      >> use story points because half our work is not inside of stories but
      >> tasks, defects and tweaks, and that is not the conversation anyway. I’m
      >> just thinking we should not burn down our ideal hours until the task or
      >> story is done. And I can’t recall what I once thought I understood, how
      >> do incorporate added ideal hours (added tasks). But what was the quote?
      >> In scrum, we measure X not Y (in the sprint burndowns). Or something
      >> like that.
      >
      > --
      >  ----------------------------------------------------------------------
      >   * George Dinwiddie *                      http://blog.gdinwiddie.com
      >   Software Development                    http://www.idiacomputing.com
      >   Consultant and Coach                    http://www.agilemaryland.org

      ________________________

      Kevlin Henney
      +44 7801 073 508
      http://curbralan.com
      http://kevlin.tel
    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 47 of 47 , Jul 17 7:32 AM
        Hi, Kevlin,

        I finally had a few minutes and sufficient internet bandwidth to take a
        look at this. Very nice! I especially loved the bit about plotting
        time over time. :-) I skipped through to find the part on burndown
        charts, but caught enough of the rest to make me want to go back and
        watch it all.

        - George