Huge challenge

  • Rafael Nascimento
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
      Hello guys!

      I need a help from you. I have a huge challenge and was wondering what would be your approach.

      I need to sell the Scrum framework to a 52 years old director of a huge company who knows the framework superficially and not entirely agree with it. We have a big project, divided into several large modules. This man always imposes ScrumBut into each module of the project which, of course, cannot make their deliveries on time.

      This man likes to have fixed dates ahead. He thinks the Scrum does not cause people to deliver the entire sprint "done". There is always a balance of work per sprint "undone" and no "punishment" for this fact. He also likes to control what each person is doing, in detail.

      How would you sell Scrum to this man? Recalling that he is a director who is unlikely to change his mind overnight.

      Thank you all!
    • Roy Morien
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
        Well, fixed delivery dates are not uncommon, and are not necessarilly a problem, unless they are unreasonable. How you actually go about developing and delivering the product should be up to you ... or does he have the authority and intention to impose that on you? If that is the case, you have little choice, I would suggest. Just make your promised delivery date as reasonable as you can get away with (and I choose my words here carefully).

        Given that an 'agile' project is more likely to deliver a useful product sooner, or more effectively, then you use the fixed deadline as a target, and keep everyone informed regularly of the likelihood of what you will be able to deliver by that date. That is, assuming he lets you do it this way.

        Not much else you can do, I would suggest.

        Regards
        Roy Morien

        To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
        From: rafaelnascimento.rj@...
        Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 23:39:34 -0300
        Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Huge challenge

[...]

        Looking for a hot date? View photos of singles in your area!
      • Adam Sroka

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
            On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Rafael Nascimento <rafaelnascimento.rj@...> wrote:

            Hello guys!

            I need a help from you. I have a huge challenge and was wondering what would be your approach.

            I need to sell the Scrum framework to a 52 years old director of a huge company who knows the framework superficially and not entirely agree with it. We have a big project, divided into several large modules. This man always imposes ScrumBut into each module of the project which, of course, cannot make their deliveries on time.

            This man likes to have fixed dates ahead. He thinks the Scrum does not cause people to deliver the entire sprint "done". There is always a balance of work per sprint "undone" and no "punishment" for this fact. He also likes to control what each person is doing, in detail.

            How would you sell Scrum to this man? Recalling that he is a director who is unlikely to change his mind overnight.

            You can't sell a thing. You have to give him something he values. Where is suffering? Where is there pain? Figure this out and start asking questions around that pain. Eventually that will buy you space for a small experiment. ...

            Time to quit writing about Agile and relax.
            Mark
          • Mark Levison
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
              On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 11:01 PM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

              Tell it like it is. Be passionate. Stand up for what you believe. Don't get your hopes up, though. Keep your resume up to date.

              Really Adam - there are always leverage points you just have to find them. Listen, listen alot. Find the pain.

              Cheers
              Mark
            • Rafael Nascimento
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
                He lived all his life into waterfall and RUP projects. To him, Agile is a mess. An anarchy. It's that really wrong idea of no dates, no rules and no documents. But, otherwise, he even doesn't try to understand what it's all about. He is near to the end of his career, and if he always did what he does and, for him, it brought the results, why to change now, you know?

                Fortunately, he fixed only a date. Not the team, and not the scope. This is good.
                But he doesn't wanna see the deadline, sometimes, moving forward, as I need to provide him feedback at each end of sprint, and it will sue happen.

                I think not wanting to move the deadline even an hour a bad thing, since software projects don't act this way. It's natural.
                And the other bad thing is to control what each one is doing, like previously assingning task to each one during the planning meeting.

                To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                From: rafaelnascimento.rj@...
                Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 23:39:34 -0300

[...]

              • Peter Stevens (calendar)
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
                  Hi Rafael,

                  “People change what they do, not so much because we give them analysis that shifts their thinking, but because we show them a truth that influences their feelings.”

                  John. P. Kotter, Heart of Change

                  Find a way to expose him to the essential and relevant truths and you won't have to sell it - he'll buy it.

                  Cheers,

                  Peter

                  --
                  Peter Stevens, CSM, CSPO, CSP
                  www.scrum-breakfast.com

                • Bachan Anand
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
                    Rafael,

                    On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 7:39 PM, Rafael Nascimento <rafaelnascimento.rj@...> wrote:

                    Hello guys!

                    I need a help from you. I have a huge challenge and was wondering what would be your approach.

                    Thanks for reaching out , I think that it self is a big step forward.

                    I need to sell the Scrum framework to a 52 years old director of a huge company who knows the framework superficially and not entirely agree with it. We have a big project, divided into several large modules. This man always imposes ScrumBut into each module of the project which, of course, cannot make their deliveries on time.

                    This man likes to have fixed dates ahead. He thinks the Scrum does not cause people to deliver the entire sprint "done". There is always a balance of work per sprint "undone" and no "punishment" for this fact. He also likes to control what each person is doing, in detail.

                    If he believes so, it is from his experience after seeing results from the Sprint or he has not even given a chance to try it out.  Maybe ask him what he sees need to improve, is it about completing the work that is planned for a sprint, continue to listen to him about how it could be done if that is a pain point . All this requires a lot of patience and maybe few more sprints.

                    How would you sell Scrum to this man? Recalling that he is a director who is unlikely to change his mind overnight.

                    Believe that the director can also embrace the values and principles of scrum .Do whatever you can to show the value . It is easier said than done , however it is possible.Get into collaborative dialogue with the director , listen , listen and listen.

                    Thank you all!

                  • Bachan Anand
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
                      On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 8:08 PM, Rafael Nascimento <rafaelnascimento.rj@...> wrote:

                      He lived all his life into waterfall and RUP projects. To him, Agile is a mess. An anarchy. It's that really wrong idea of no dates, no rules and no documents. But, otherwise, he even doesn't try to understand what it's all about. He is near to the end of his career, and if he always did what he does and, for him, it brought the results, why to change now, you know?

                      yeah that seems to be the issue and I have seen it with other managers as well. If you are really passionate ( which you seem to be ) about a successful Agile adoption, leverage you passion to be patient enough  to show by example that Agile is not about no date , no rules and no documents.

                      Fortunately, he fixed only a date. Not the team, and not the scope. This is good.
                      But he doesn't wanna see the deadline, sometimes, moving forward, as I need to provide him feedback at each end of sprint, and it will sue happen.

                      Do you think if scope is not fixed, you can still deliver on time a scope that is of highest value .Do you think showing early working software will make him see the fruits of the agile adoption ?

                      I think not wanting to move the deadline even an hour a bad thing, since software projects don't act this way. It's natural.
                      And the other bad thing is to control what each one is doing, like previously assingning task to each one during the planning meeting.

                      Do you think showing value in other areas like early working software , getting things committed for a Sprint done etc will automatically have his need for controlling what each person is doing go away?

                      Bachan Anand
                      WORK is GOOD
                      Tel  +1-949-232-8900
                      Contact Me LinkedinFacebookFacebookTwitter

                      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com