Re: [scrumdevelopment] Undone Work

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010
      Hi, Chuck,

      On 7/1/10 1:35 PM, chuckspublicprofile wrote:
      > The last 2.5 paragraphs on the last page of the Scrum Guide talk about dealing with "Undone" work.
      >
      > http://www.scrum.org/storage/scrumguides/Scrum%20Guide.pdf#view=fit
      >
      > Does anyone actually use that strategy?
      >
      > Outside of release related activities (performance testing, security,
      > stability, etc), does anyone actually split off shippable
      > functionality from a backlog item at the end of the sprint and
      > apportion the estimates to the "done" part and the "undone" part?

      I will sometimes suggest to new scrum teams splitting a story at the end
      of the sprint, but only along functional story lines--and I recommend
      that they not make it a regular practice. When I do this, it's because
      they started with a story that was way too big in the first place. I
      coach them to split the stories /before/ the next sprint.

      - George

    • charles_bradley_scrum_coach
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010
        After re-reading the paragraph above the ones I mentioned, I realize now that the context of this section (Final thoughts) is ONLY in application to orgs who are incapable of producing a potentially shippable product increment in one sprint. That makes much more sense now. Ken specifically calls out the case where an org doesn't have the automated testing infrastructure in place yet to fully test an increment within the sprint.

        Ahhh yes... the light bulb comes on.

        Charles Bradley