Re: [scrumdevelopment] Current studies which show that Agile projects are more successful

  • Johanna Rothman
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
      Michael Mah has data. I believe he has published it.

      I only have anecdotes.

      Johanna

      On Jul 1, 2010, at 6:13 AM, Ralph Jocham wrote:

      Hi All,
      I am searching for some references that show that Agile projects have a higher chance of success then other approaches.
      The references should be quotable in a government document ie. come from a trustworthy source.

      Thanks in Advance,
      Ralph

      --

      Rothman Consulting Group, Inc.     781-641-4046

      Speaker, Author, Consultant - Managing Product Development

      http://www.ayeconference.com, Nov 7-11, 2010

      New: Manage Your Project Portfolio: Increase Your Capacity and Finish More Projects

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
        Hi, Ralph,

        On 7/1/10 6:13 AM, Ralph Jocham wrote:
        > Hi All,
        > I am searching for some references that show that Agile projects have
        > a higher chance of success then other approaches. The references
        > should be quotable in a government document ie. come from a
        > trustworthy source.

        I have some links on
        http://biblio.gdinwiddie.com/biblio/StudiesOfAgileEffectiveness that
        might be of interest. If you find other studies, please add them to
        that page.

        - George

      • Roy Morien
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 1, 2010
          I can't pinpint specific references about 'success' rates statistics, but there ae many case studies aroun that illustrate the effectiveness of this approach to product development, that can be inferred into software development.

          The problem that the IT indutry has faced for more than 40 years is that the civil engineering / construction industry paradigm for project management has been adopted as THE way to develop projects. Reference to project management as far back to the building of the pyramids are standard fare for 'project management' courses. This is unfortunately a very sparse and bleak view of software project management.

          So, I teach, and lecture, and present conference papers that try to go back to basics of 'product development' rather than 'project management'. This is of course not especially original of me Others have done it jst as well and as busilly as I have. Matters such as Leadership and Organisational Learning are discussed. I use some case studies (one very recently pointed out to us in this forum) such as the Toyota Company (both in its upward growth path and now its fall from grace), the New Zealand victory in the America's Cup yacht race, Boeing's development ofthe 777 airliner, and now Pixar. The book 'Lean Thinking' is a great source of inspiration in this regard.

          My point is, that there have been some very successful enterprises built on 'lean' and 'agile' thinking and precepts. I have no idea if the original developers of the 'Agile Manifesto had any of these case studies or examples in mind, but they certainly paralleled that thinking.

          Another great book is called 'The Minding Organisation' in which what the authors call The Model of Concurrent Perception is described.

          If you want my recent conference paper on this I am happy to send it to you.

          This may sound all a bit academic and high minded, and may be unconvincing to your average executive(and my experience is most xecutives are pretty average) but  think they are very telling examples that can be emulated in software development projects.

          Regards,
          Roy Morien

          To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
          From: rjocham72@...
          Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 03:13:30 -0700
          Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Current studies which show that Agile projects are more successful

          Hi All,
          I am searching for some references that show that Agile projects have a higher chance of success then other approaches.
          The references should be quotable in a government document ie. come from a trustworthy source.

          Thanks in Advance,
          Ralph

          Meet local singles online. Browse profiles for FREE!
        • Ralph Jocham
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 2, 2010
            Hi Johanna,
            thanks for the tips. I found the white paper of Michael Mah (http://www.cutter.com/promotions/apmr0809/apmr0809.pdf)

            Also, I would like to thank you for your latest book 'Manage your Project Portfolio'. It is a great help at my current client. BTW all your books are next to my desk ;)

            Thanks,
            Ralph

            ============ ========= ========= ========= ===

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 2, 2010
              Hi George,
              thanks for the link. I will update once I gathered more references.

              Cheers,
              Ralph

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 2, 2010
                Hi George,
                thanks for the link. It is a good resource. I should have know about the TW article since I worked for them for a couple of years.
                Actually, your link is dead it is now: http://www.thoughtworks.com/sites/www.thoughtworks.com/files/files/TEI-media.pdf. I added this link to the exisiting one in case they point to different sources.

                Johanna Rothman pointed me to Mah Michaels work. There is a good article from the Cutter Consortium. I added this link with a short description. (http://www.cutter.com/promotions/apmr0809/apmr0809.pdf)

                Thanks,
                Ralph

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 2, 2010
                  Ralph

                  On 7/2/10 6:10 AM, Ralph Jocham wrote:
                  > Hi George,
                  > thanks for the link. It is a good resource. I should have know about
                  > the TW article since I worked for them for a couple of years.
                  > Actually, your link is dead it is now:
                  > http://www.thoughtworks.com/sites/www.thoughtworks.com/files/files/TEI-media.pdf.
                  > I added this link to the exisiting one in case they point to
                  > different sources.
                  >
                  > Johanna Rothman pointed me to Mah Michaels work. There is a good
                  > article from the Cutter Consortium. I added this link with a short
                  > description.
                  > (http://www.cutter.com/promotions/apmr0809/apmr0809.pdf)

                  Thanks so much for updating the page.

                  - George

                • sep
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 2, 2010
                    I think all of George's links fail the "disinterested" criterion - they're all from people or organizations with a vested interest in agile, which makes them suspect from a funder's perspective.

                    However, there are a number of papers in ACM and IEEE publications, which you should be able to find in their respective digital libraries. Since they're peer-reviewed, they're likely to be treated as more trustworthy.

                    scott

                    > Hi, Ralph,
                    >
                    > On 7/1/10 6:13 AM, Ralph Jocham wrote:
                    > > Hi All,
                    > > I am searching for some references that show that Agile projects have
                    > > a higher chance of success then other approaches. The references
                    > > should be quotable in a government document ie. come from a
                    > > trustworthy source.
                    >
                    > I have some links on
                    > http://biblio.gdinwiddie.com/biblio/StudiesOfAgileEffectiveness that
                    > might be of interest. If you find other studies, please add them to
                    > that page.
                    >
                    > - George
                    >
                    > --

                  • woynam
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 2, 2010
                      Interesting.

                      Does anyone have a link to peer reviewed studies that prove that Waterfall projects are more successful than process X, or that RUP projects are more successful than Waterfall projects?

                      Anyone needing that level of "proof" is simply looking for an excuse not to try agile.

                      Mark

                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "sep" <sepreece@...> wrote:

                      > I think all of George's links fail the "disinterested" criterion - they're all from people or organizations with a vested interest in agile, which makes them suspect from a funder's perspective.
                      >
                      > However, there are a number of papers in ACM and IEEE publications, which you should be able to find in their respective digital libraries. Since they're peer-reviewed, they're likely to be treated as more trustworthy.
                      >
                      > scott
                      >
                      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, George Dinwiddie <lists@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi, Ralph,
                      > >
                      > > On 7/1/10 6:13 AM, Ralph Jocham wrote:
                      > > > Hi All,
                      > > > I am searching for some references that show that Agile projects have
                      > > > a higher chance of success then other approaches. The references
                      > > > should be quotable in a government document ie. come from a
                      > > > trustworthy source.
                      > >
                      > > I have some links on
                      > > http://biblio.gdinwiddie.com/biblio/StudiesOfAgileEffectiveness that
                      > > might be of interest. If you find other studies, please add them to
                      > > that page.
                      > >
                      > > - George
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > * George Dinwiddie * http://blog.gdinwiddie.com
                      > > Software Development http://www.idiacomputing.com
                      > > Consultant and Coach http://www.agilemaryland.org

                    • Marcelo Costa
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 2, 2010
                        On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 7:13 AM, Ralph Jocham <rjocham72@...> wrote:

                        Hi All,
                        I am searching for some references that show that Agile projects have a higher chance of success then other approaches.
                        The references should be quotable in a government document ie. come from a trustworthy source.

                        Thanks in Advance,
                        Ralph

                        Hi,

                        There is an article in the Journal of Research and Development from IBM  with a study conducted by IBM Quality Software Engineering (QSE)  team that demonstrates the use of agile methods. Pretty interesting.

                        Search for :

                        Agile methods for software practice transformation

                        The authors are E. V. Woodward, R. Bowers, V. S. Thio, K. Johnson, M. Srihari and C. J. Bracht.

                        Link: http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/abstracts/rd/542/woodward.html

                        --
                        Marcelo Costa
                        www.marcelocosta.net

                        Doctor House in apology to Mike Jagger
                      • George Dinwiddie
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 3, 2010
                          On 7/2/10 3:33 PM, sep wrote:
                          > I think all of George's links fail the "disinterested" criterion -
                          > they're all from people or organizations with a vested interest in
                          > agile, which makes them suspect from a funder's perspective.

                          Perhaps, but they are the studies that I know about. It's rare that
                          people study a topic about which they are truly disinterested.

                          > However, there are a number of papers in ACM and IEEE publications,
                          > which you should be able to find in their respective digital
                          > libraries. Since they're peer-reviewed, they're likely to be treated
                          > as more trustworthy.

                          It would be greatly appreciated if you would add links to such papers to
                          the bibliography. Please also add a short description, as it's intended
                          to be an annotated bibliography, not merely a link-list.

                          The intent of that site is not to provide one-sided information, but to
                          collect the studies that have been performed for easier access. It's
                          not /my/ collection of links, but that of the community. The fact that
                          most of the links have been added by me is merely a consequence of the
                          fact that people will often report papers on the mailing lists but fail
                          to add them to http://biblio.gdinwiddie.com/ .

                          - George

                        • Peter Stevens (cal)
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 3, 2010
                            On 03.07.10 10:41, George Dinwiddie wrote:

                            Perhaps, but they are the studies that I know about. It's rare that
                            people study a topic about which they are truly disinterested.

                            _._,___

                            Hi George,

                            Matthias Stürmer (initiator of the Swiss Parlimentary Working Group in Digital Sustainabilty) recently gave a talk comparing two Evangelists: Jesus Christ and Richard Stallman (in german, don't if google can translate). One of his conclusions: Technology issues are usually matters of faith, simply because issues of so complex, that bringing a rational, quantitative proof is more or less impossible.

                            Cheers,

                            Peter

                            --
                            Peter Stevens, CSM, CSPO, CSP
                            Independent Scrum Trainer and Coach

                            Member of DasScrumTeam.de

                            blog:  http://scrum-breakfast.com
                            tel:   +41 44 586 6450
                            cell:  +41 79 422 6722
                            skype: peterstev
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 3, 2010
                              Hello, George. On Saturday, July 3, 2010, at 4:41:14 AM, you
                              wrote:

                              >> I think all of George's links fail the "disinterested" criterion -
                              >> they're all from people or organizations with a vested interest in
                              >> agile, which makes them suspect from a funder's perspective.

                              > Perhaps, but they are the studies that I know about. It's rare that
                              > people study a topic about which they are truly disinterested.

                              Be odd, wouldn't it? Someone should study that ...

                              www.xprogramming.com/blog
                              I have tried in my way to be free. -- Leonard Cohen
                            • Michael James
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 3, 2010
                                On Jul 3, 2010, at 3:42 AM, Ron Jeffries wrote:

                                > Perhaps, but they are the studies that I know about. It's rare that
                                > people study a topic about which they are truly disinterested.

                                Be odd, wouldn't it? Someone should study that ...

                                Maybe I will.

                                Come to think of it, naw ... no interest.

                                --mj
                              • sep
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 4, 2010

                                  > Hello, George. On Saturday, July 3, 2010, at 4:41:14 AM, you
                                  > wrote:
                                  >
                                  > >> I think all of George's links fail the "disinterested" criterion -
                                  > >> they're all from people or organizations with a vested interest in
                                  > >> agile, which makes them suspect from a funder's perspective.
                                  >
                                  > > Perhaps, but they are the studies that I know about. It's rare that
                                  > > people study a topic about which they are truly disinterested.
                                  >
                                  > Be odd, wouldn't it? Someone should study that ...
                                  ---

                                  Disinterested =/= uninterested.

                                  I didn't in any way mean to disparage the links that George pointed at. However, the request was specific about wanting references that could be cited as evidence to a government, which typically is going to assign greater trust to peer-reviewed work.

                                  regards,
                                  scott
                                • George Dinwiddie
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 4, 2010
                                    Hi, Scott,

                                    On 7/4/10 12:17 PM, sep wrote:
                                    > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries<ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                                    >>> Perhaps, but they are the studies that I know about. It's rare that
                                    >>> people study a topic about which they are truly disinterested.
                                    >>
                                    >> Be odd, wouldn't it? Someone should study that ...
                                    > ---
                                    >
                                    > Disinterested =/= uninterested.

                                    Yes, I know.

                                    > I didn't in any way mean to disparage the links that George pointed
                                    > at. However, the request was specific about wanting references that
                                    > could be cited as evidence to a government, which typically is going
                                    > to assign greater trust to peer-reviewed work.

                                    Do you have a study that shows that? My experience is that government
                                    decisions are made by people, and that they generally make those
                                    decisions on criteria other than the nature of a study.

                                    - George

                                  • sep
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 5, 2010

                                      > Hi, Scott,
                                      >
                                      > On 7/4/10 12:17 PM, sep wrote:
                                      > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries<ronjeffries@> wrote:

                                      > >> Be odd, wouldn't it? Someone should study that ...
                                      > > ---
                                      > >
                                      > > Disinterested =/= uninterested.
                                      >
                                      > Yes, I know.

                                      I suspect Ron does, too, though his quip only makes sense if you pretend he doesn't.

                                      > > I didn't in any way mean to disparage the links that George pointed
                                      > > at. However, the request was specific about wanting references that
                                      > > could be cited as evidence to a government, which typically is going
                                      > > to assign greater trust to peer-reviewed work.
                                      >
                                      > Do you have a study that shows that? My experience is that government
                                      > decisions are made by people, and that they generally make those
                                      > decisions on criteria other than the nature of a study.
                                      ---

                                      No studies I'm aware of. I have seen RFPs that cited such a requirement for supporting documentation. I am aware of contract monitors rejecting citations on this basis. And it has come up, occasionally, in discussions among program committees I've been part of. The issue is just credibility - if you don't personally know enough to validate the results in a paper, and don't have time to repeat the work, it's nice to know that the author at least managed to convince some neutral, peer professionals that the methods and data were sound.

                                      scott
                                    • George Dinwiddie
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 6, 2010
                                        Scott,

                                        On 7/5/10 11:03 AM, sep wrote:
                                        >> Do you have a study that shows that? My experience is that government
                                        >> decisions are made by people, and that they generally make those
                                        >> decisions on criteria other than the nature of a study.
                                        > ---
                                        >
                                        > No studies I'm aware of. I have seen RFPs that cited such a
                                        > requirement for supporting documentation. I am aware of contract
                                        > monitors rejecting citations on this basis. And it has come up,
                                        > occasionally, in discussions among program committees I've been part
                                        > of. The issue is just credibility - if you don't personally know
                                        > enough to validate the results in a paper, and don't have time to
                                        > repeat the work, it's nice to know that the author at least managed
                                        > to convince some neutral, peer professionals that the methods and
                                        > data were sound.

                                        RFPs for research work or for production systems? In my experience,
                                        it's the researchers that care about peer review. And they should; it's
                                        their system.

                                        I haven't found people who want working software to care much about the
                                        research, one way or the other. Your experience might be different from
                                        mine.

                                        - George