Re: [scrumdevelopment] Best scrum team award - good/bad?

  • Mark Levison
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
      On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 3:02 AM, Rajesh Velliyatt <velliyatt@...> wrote:

      High level competitive measures that can be obtained from various data points could be,
      Velocity trend of the team, Sprint execution effectiveness, Adherence to DoD, Commitment/attitude of the team towards Scrum process

      Velocity inflation here I come. For more details: Misuse of Velocity of an Agile Project

      Along with inflation, I will cut corners - do little or no refactoring. ....

      Be careful you will get what you measure and most measures will hurt your quality.

      Cheers
      Mark Levison

      Blog | Twitter | Office: (613) 862-2538
    • Jay Conne
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
        Hey guys, how's this for a market driven alternative?

        Let business units bid on the teams they want to do their projects? That would cover many dimensions in one fell swoop. And as a balancing factor, have the teams bid on the projects. That would demonstrate earned trust both ways.

        What do you think :-) ?

        Paul, I'd like to see your research paper if you'd be so kind.

        Jay
        jay@...
        www.jconne.com

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Paul Tiseo <paul_tiseo@...> wrote:

        > Mark:
        >
        > I totally understand and empathize with your disagreement with me, as I once thought similarly. But, personal experience and emerging research has shown me otherwise and I've always prized myself as being agile of mind, not just method.
        >
        > As for reference, I feel like I am alone in an echo chamber. Did you not participate in the June thread on raises and promotions? (Link in my last email if you need a refresher.) Did you not get the copy of the research paper PDF I sent you personally?
        >
        > I look forward to your blog piece.
        >
        > On 6/30/2010 11:48 AM, Mark Levison wrote:
        > >
        > > Thank you Paul - you've inspired me to write a blog post. A few points
        > > you've asserted on several of occasions that Dan Pink is wrong. Can
        > > you provide us with a reference to that effect? My experience and
        > > reading of the literature is that competition will destroy cooperation.
        > >

        > > Paul if you think otherwise baseline the teams in your business, run a
        > > competition and measure the results. I'm not going to risk running
        > > this experiment with my clients.
        > >
        > > Cheers
        > > Mark
        > _________________________________
        > *PAUL TISEO*
        > paul_tiseo@...

      • Ilja Preuß

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
            My two cents -

            I asked the team (of which I am the CSM) what they thought of a "Scrum team of the month award".  Given that they are currently the only Scrum team in my business unit they thought the idea was great.

            I then went on to ask "how would you feel if there were multiple Scrum teams and you didn't win the award?"  Their answer was "we'd be mad at them and wouldn't want to work with them."

            Not a scientific test, but in my mind a useful one.  I remain opposed to the concept of a "best Scrum team" and any associated award.

            Steve.

            To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
            From: iljapreuss@...
            Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 19:53:59 +0200
            Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Best scrum team award - good/bad?

            2010/6/30 Paul Tiseo <paul_tiseo@comcast. net>

[...]

            ____________ _________ _________ ___

          • Jussi Mononen
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
              On 07/07/2010 09:10 PM, Steven Janvrin wrote:

              > My two cents -
              >
              > I asked the team (of which I am the CSM) what they thought of a "Scrum
              > team of the month award". Given that they are currently the only Scrum
              > team in my business unit they thought the idea was great.
              >
              > I then went on to ask "how would you feel if there were multiple Scrum
              > teams and you didn't win the award?" Their answer was "we'd be mad at
              > them and wouldn't want to work with them."
              >
              > Not a scientific test, but in my mind a useful one. I remain opposed to
              > the concept of a "best Scrum team" and any associated award.

              My 2 european cents ;-)

              we have an "Innovation of the Month" prize. Everyone is eligible, a
              single person or a team can receive this prize.

              The "innovation" can be anything, a tool that helps to automate
              something previously manual, a new way of working, idea for a new
              component/product and so forth. The prize is usually movie tickets,
              lunch (paid by the firm) in a restaurant or a bottle of champagne.
              Nothing big nor financially substantial. And of course the innovator is
              mentioned in our monthly department meeting :-)

              Few examples of rewarded "innovations"

              * a new build script
              * idea to start to organize team lunches
              * finding an unknown and severe build issue
              * pair working experiment within a team

              The prize is still relatively new, but I can say that it has not caused
              /any/ competition between teams or individuals. I personally feel it
              works pretty well in encouraging the little things that make our daily
              work a little better and easier.

              Br,

              --
              - Agile Poodle
              - http://www.jussimononen.info/
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 7, 2010
                Here's one of the claims referenced by one of Pink's videos:

                • “In eight of the nine tasks we examined across the three experiments, higher incentives led to worse performance. In fact, we were surprised by the robustness of the effect;”
                • Dan Ariely, Uri Gneezy, George Loewenstein, and Nina Mazar (2005) “Large Stakes and Big Mistakes” Working Papers No. 5-011, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston

                People may remember Dan Ariely as author of _Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions_. I believe the task where incentives led to higher performance was asking people to type the letters "b" and "v" in rapid succession.

                --mj