Re: Sprint Burndown - What we are measuring

  • woynam
    Message 1 of 47 , Jun 29, 2010
      The danger of burning down ideal hours as you go is that you run the risk of completing zero stories. I've seen this too many times. Instead of working on a small number of stories, completing them, and then starting new stories, the team each grabs one story and starts working. Three-quarters of the way through the Sprint 3/4's of the hours have burned down, but no single story is complete. The graph gives a false sense of accomplishment.

      Many have moved away from burndown graphs. If you are going to do them at all, then I suggest you only burn down when a story is completed. So, if a story is worth 5 points, you burn down 5 points when the story is finished. Hours no longer matter. We're not interested in how many hours it takes. We're interested in seeing if we're on track to deliver value.

      Mark

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael Wollin <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > Someone posted a quote I want to use about sprint burndowns measuring
      > progress or value versus work. I can¹t find that message. We are burning
      > down ideal hours and burning up added ideal hours, but we do this daily. My
      > feeling is we are not measuring what we should. Note that we cannot use
      > story points because half our work is not inside of stories but tasks,
      > defects and tweaks, and that is not the conversation anyway. I¹m just
      > thinking we should not burn down our ideal hours until the task or story is
      > done. And I can¹t recall what I once thought I understood, how do
      > incorporate added ideal hours (added tasks). But what was the quote? In
      > scrum, we measure X not Y (in the sprint burndowns). Or something like that.

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 47 of 47 , Jul 17 7:32 AM
        Hi, Kevlin,

        I finally had a few minutes and sufficient internet bandwidth to take a
        look at this. Very nice! I especially loved the bit about plotting
        time over time. :-) I skipped through to find the part on burndown
        charts, but caught enough of the rest to make me want to go back and
        watch it all.

        - George