RE: [scrumdevelopment] "Agile" is everywhere

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2004

      (Joel writes:

      What is Agile Extreme? Unisys Corporation Vice President
      and Chief Technology Officer David L. Houseman will demonstrate this
      new agility concept, analyzing the underlying technologies that can
      take flexible, responsive IT infrastructure to the next level of
      flexibility, putting the power of the network in the hands of the
      end user and creating true personal enterprise computing.

      )

      Joel,

      Wow! I thought “I had seen it all”. So agile is now:

      ·         Flexible and responsive IT infrastructure technologies that put the “power of the network in the hands of the user”, and

      ·         “True” personal enterprise computing

      But … so were Java, .NET, WebServices, SOA, and Orchestration, and many other things ???  :”)

      All good, but this “agile” has certainly nothing to do with “Agile Software Development”.

      (Joel writes: I also noted in a recent Forbes article that EDS is now promoting
      their services to help customers achieve the Agile Enterprise

      )

      We are getting close to close the circle.  It is a well-known fact ;-) that we (agile software developers) took “agile” from management consulting -- the management wave in the 90’s between BPR and Knowledge Management and e-Business/e-Commerce.

      We took this word purposely, because we wanted “agile” to be sold and accepted in upper management circles.

      This is why I proposed the word “agile” and why the others at Snowbird voted on it:  upper management recognition, without the connotation of “failure”.

      Apparently we have succeeded….. or did we?

      Long live “Agile”, whatever it may mean to all parties ;-)

      - Mike