RE: [scrumdevelopment] Web Project Manager questionnaire

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28, 2010
      You are getting there, Fabio :) But maybe you should elaborate the , ... or remove it. Having the , ... implies that you have still not bounded your research project, and you feel there might be more unknowns.
      So, what does ', ...' mean or imply?
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: fabioverza83@...
      Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:04:57 +0200
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Web Project Manager questionnaire

      I understand your opinion and I'm listening your suggestions.
      I need focus my questions about few arguments, so I need to investigate if the project managers intend to move to an agile methodologies, if they would make resistance to the changement, if they have some ideas to propose.
      I want to emphasize the difficulties (planning, budget, human resource management, ...) that they encounter every day in project management, so to be able to decide if I should introduce them arguments as Scrum.

      Fabio Verzellesi

      2010/6/28 Roy Morien <roymorien@hotmail. com>

      Fabio, as I said before ... What are your research questions?
      You MUST have some research questions, or hypotheses. Everything you ask will be directly to inform about your research questions. Apparently one of your research questions is something like 'What methodologies have organisations used, who intend moving to an agile approach to development?' This isn't exactly an hypothesis, as I am sure the PhD holders in the ranks of this group would acknowledge, but it does state a discrete, sufficiently small area of knowledge that you wish to explore.
      I could suggest to you that you investigate ther HR practices in regard to employment and performance reviews in the organisation, but this may not be of interest to you. So you may get many such irrelevant suggestions, because we do not know what your research questions are.
      Any research must be focused. It is a common trap that new researchers, students, fall into, to have a wide, meandering unfocused area of interest, that implies far too much work and has no real focus.

      Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:15:28 +0200

      Ok, I'll do my best.
      Last question: the goal of my thesis is to introduce Scrum. So the questionnarie/ interview want to study in depth the methodologies for project management already used here, are there some others topics that I should go into?

      Fabio Verzellesi

      2010/6/28 Roy Morien <roymorien@hotmail. com>
      Do both. Use the questionaire as a basis for an interview, to allow the answers to be elaborated. Also, the responses in a questionaire very often raise issues and ideas that need to be explored further.
      All your points of interest are essentially qualitative, or (in research talk) ethnographical or phenomenological, so a follow up interview is almost essential. So you could then do content analysis on the interviews.

      Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 09:46:34 +0200

      Hi Roy,
      Thanks fot the answer. I post this message because I need to compare my few ideas with some others that have a lot of experience in this field.
      I just want to know what may be the arguments referred to treat in the interview if someone has already do something similar.
      My priority is to research about: roles of web project manager, project goals, team building and motivation, budget (cost and time), methodologies for prject management, client satisfaction. ..

      Another question is: in your opinion, it's better to do a questionnaire, an interview or something intermediate?

      Thx all.

      Fabio Verzellesi

      2010/6/26 Roy Morien <roymorien@hotmail. com>
      Hello Fabio,
      As a professor in a university, for some years, I supervise research of Masters sudents and PhD students. One of the requirements to demonstrate research ability by the student is that they can design an appropriate research instrument by themselves; not ask others to do it.
      The research instrument, for example the questionaire, should have questions relevant to the research that you are undertaking. Mobody in this group knows exactly what your research is, or what the research questions are that you intend to investigate. So any suggestion from group members are therefore irrelevant from the start.
      So you need to carefully think what it is that you are going to research - these are the research questions that you must formulate. Then you must design the questionaire to solicite appropriate information specific to your researh questions.
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
      From: fabioverza83@ gmail.com
      Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:00:37 +0000

      I need a pleasure, also if i know to be a little bit off-topic.
      Someone has already answered or written a questionnaire about PM in software development( in particular web project management)?
      I need to study the actual situation in the company where I'm trainee now, and in the future I'll to implement Scrum.
      For the purposes of thesis, I need to do a questionnaire for the project manager.
      Do you have any questions suggest? Some models to send me?

      Thanks to all.
      Verzellesi Fabio

      Find it at CarPoint.com. au New, Used, Demo, Dealer or Private?

      Looking for a hot date? View photos of singles in your area!