Re: DSM time

  • PeterG
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 18, 2010
      Why does it matter what time it is held? This is not something anyone outside of the team should prescribe. There are various, pretty much universal advantages to various times of day:

      In the morning - good chance for team members, in preparation for the daily scrum, to review what they did yesterday, do some personal planning for the day, ponder what's keeping them from being hyper-productive (my definition of impediment), update the sprint backlog if they haven't already, etc.

      Right before lunch - a natural breakpoint to the day, having it 15 minutes before lunch will lead to people wanting to finish on time.

      End of the day - good chance for summarizing what happened during the day, think about what's going to happen tomorrow, etc.

      In addition, there could be any number of unique reasons the team wants to have it at the end of the day (they don't like coming in early, they coordinate with other geos and that time is more convenient, etc.)

      Self management means setting high level goals and letting the team decide implementation details like time of the meeting.

      Peter Green
      Agile Coach & Trainer
      Adobe Systems, Inc.