RE: [scrumdevelopment] Prioritization of Stories in Business Productivity Automation

  • Tara Santmire
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 3, 2010

      Peter,

      I don’t think that it automatically follows that you get an object oriented UI from an object oriented tool.  However, if you carefully craft the business objects, then it should be possible to make an object oriented UI without too much difficulty.  Then you can use a workflow engine to move those objects around as needed.  The workflow itself becomes a set of wrappers around the objects that moves the objects from one state to another, tracks state, and tracks who and when.

      The process at hand for our project is different in that there really are no optional steps.  There are decision points which tell you which path to go down, but once a path is selected, there are no optional items.  The complicated bit is that we have an item to move through the process (object x),  in one path to move object x forward seven parallel processes all with their own objects have to move forward four of those parallel things come together to create yet another object which gets shoved down a process.  The other three processes (with their own objects) just go to their own completions.  Critical for us that we correctly create the data model to support this and the business object model as well.  Then we have the presentation layer where we have widely varying requests from different parts of the user community.

      Interestingly enough this set of processes is already highly optimized.  People have been doing it for a while very successfully,  the problem is that because it is so complicated it is very labor intensive to do correctly without losing things.  The goal here is to actually reduce the number of people necessary to keep all of the different objects moving through the system and increase transparency into where things are at any given time.

      Regards,

      Tara

      Tara E. Santmire, CSM, PMP
      tara@...