Scrum/Agile Blog

  • Pierre Mengal
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 2, 2010
      Hello,

      I would like to subscribe to some RSS feeds about Scrum and/or Agile. Could you please suggest me which one I should consider ? My Google Reader suggestion tool is not helping me so much ;)

      I'm not specifically looking for the most popular ones.

      Thanks a million.

      Warm regards,

      Pierre Mengal
      CSP

    • Adam Sroka

        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 2, 2010
          I like the blog http://blog.crisp.se/

          Thais Aiza

          On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Peter Stevens (calendar)
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 2, 2010
            Bonjour Pierre,

            There are a couple aggregators out there. Here are the ones I see in my feedburner stats.
            Each of these has a directory of their sources.

            Dzone has an agile tag, but does not AFAIK have an index of their sources.

            There may of course be more.

            Cheers,

            Peter

            On 02.06.10 11:57, Pierre Mengal wrote:

            --
            Peter Stevens, CSM, CSPO, CSP
            www.scrum-breakfast.com

          • Jeff Anderson
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 2, 2010
              What ever you do, don't go to agileconsulting.blospot.com, that guy is
              UMLing, RUP loving, kanban boarding, cycle timing a$$hole...

              Most definitely not agile...

              --
              Sent from my mobile device

              Jeff Anderson

              http://agileconsulting.blogspot.com/
            • Roy Morien
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 2, 2010
                My oh My! Such language!!

                And someone is an a$$hole because?

                I sure hope the answer is not that he is a UMLing, RUP loving, kanban boarding, cycle timing sort of guy. That would certainly be arguing ad hominem, which is quite a despicable way to carry on a discussion.

                Perhaps being UMLing, RUP loving, kanban boarding, cycle timing does imply that he ought not advertise himself as being 'agile', but then, that does not necessarilly follow.

                But Thanks for the 'head up'.  I will immediately go to that website and see what he is about. (which maks me wonder if you are in fact he, and this was a very cunning way to draw attetion to your website.

                Regards,
                Roy Morien

                To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                From: Thomasjeffreyandersontwin@...
                Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 19:11:44 -0400
                Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum/Agile Blog

                --
                Sent from my mobile device

                Jeff Anderson

                http://agileconsulting.blogspot.com/

                Looking for a hot date? View photos of singles in your area!
              • Adam Sroka
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 2, 2010
                  On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Roy Morien <roymorien@...> wrote:

                  > But Thanks for the 'head up'.  I will immediately go to that website and see what he is about. (which maks me wonder if you are in fact he, and this was a very cunning way to draw attetion to your website.

                  It would have been, if he had spelled the URL right :-D (he forgot the
                  'g' in blog)

                  But actually, I have read some of his stuff and it isn't bad.
                • Ahmed ALmahdy
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 3, 2010
                    Dears,

                    I believe that "testing" is not software testing only, but it should have a serious test to the value behind this software.

                    This picture may clarify my point of view

                    I wonder, how can we test this value? I found an answer in Agile (scrum) which is sotry writing.
                    Yes, the way of writing stories, I think we should use "so that" or "In order to" or similar templates but not sure if it is enough.

                    Did you find any other practices that helped you to test the value behind the software from your client perspective ?

                    Lately, we created a group for a focused discussion, I recommend it if you are interested.

                    "Software and Value Testing"

                    Best Regards,
                    Ahmed

                  • Wahlstedt Jyrki
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 3, 2010

                      Hi,

                      if one speaks about values in ethical sense, they should be sorted out before starting the project. Writing specs, user stories or testing doesn’t help much there...

                      !

                      ! Jyrki Wahlstedt

                      !

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 3, 2010
                        On 3 June 2010 11:48, Ahmed ALmahdy <ahmed_abogh@...> wrote:

                        I believe that "testing" is not software testing only, but it should have a serious test to the value behind this software.

                        This picture may clarify my point of view

                        I wonder, how can we test this value? I found an answer in Agile (scrum) which is sotry writing.
                        Yes, the way of writing stories, I think we should use "so that" or "In order to" or similar templates but not sure if it is enough.

                        Did you find any other practices that helped you to test the value behind the software from your client perspective ?

                        Lately, we created a group for a focused discussion, I recommend it if you are interested.

                        Looking at the aims of the group, I think it may be unethical to confuse business acceptance with the notion of business value :^)

                        However, what you pose is not a question of ethics. Ethics enters into the claims you make about what you have: if you claim something beyond what you have demonstrated or something that you know to be false, that may be considered unethical. "This software works as promised, here are the tests" can be considered ethical in this sense, even if it turns out that we discover faults and misinterpretations. "We have no tests, so we don't know if this will work" is also ethical, although obviously unsatisfying. "This software works as promised, and is guaranteed to make us lots of money" cannot be demonstrated to be true at the time of the claim, and could be considered unethical as a result.

                        What is actually of value to a business is not necessarily the same as what it accepts via testing, no matter how brilliant or well conceived the tests are or how good the dialogue with the business over the requirements. Confusing this matter further with technical practices seems like pursuing the wrong path.

                        In most cases it is not possible to assess actual business value until after the fact. Yes, this can be tested, but it is not the same kind of test, nor is it from the same perspective, as practices such as Acceptance TDD.

                        Being able to predict the business value of software is like predicting the financial markets. Like NP-complete problems, if you figure out how to predict either of these, you've solved the prediction problem for all of them. This, of course, has interesting implications for the notion of prioritising by business value. You can prioritise up front with respect to belief or perception or anticipation of value to a business, but rarely with respect to actual value to a business. Although well meant, we need to adjust our vocabulary a little to avoid such grand claims!

                        Kevlin
                        --
                        ________________________

                         Kevlin Henney
                         +44 7801 073 508
                         http://curbralan.com
                         http://kevlin.tel
                        ________________________

                      • Ahmed ALmahdy
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 3, 2010
                          Kevlin,

                          Your words make sense, I agree with you.

                          Then, we need to target "what the customer really needs" regardless of the business value as it depends on other factors that are out of our hands.

[...]

                          ____________ _________ ___

                           Kevlin Henney
                           +44 7801 073 508
                           http://curbralan. com
                           http://kevlin. tel
                          ____________ _________ ___

                        • Roy Morien
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 3, 2010
                            That's an interesting notion, that we need to target what the customer really wants regardless of business value. If there is no busness value in what the customer really wants, then why would the customer really want it? This seems a bit like the 'need versus want' argument. I want a Rolex gold watch so I can tell the time, but do I really need it? My clunker of a mobile phone can tell me the time just as well as a $20,000 Rolex.

                            Regards,
                            Roy Morien

                            To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                            From: ahmed_abogh@...
                            Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 18:03:52 -0700

[...]

                            Find it at CarPoint.com.au New, Used, Demo, Dealer or Private?
                          • Pierre Mengal
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 4, 2010
                              @Mark, I just subscribed to your blog. I like InfoQ very much too.

                              @Mark, @Adam: IMHO, author's blogs are generally very light, and that makes sense. It's not specifically related to Scrum. I've observed that in many other fields. I prefer to buy their books ;) I think the perfect example of very valuable and effective author's blog is Seth Godin.

                              @Thais, Subscribed to that one too. Henrik has something very valuable: he uses Scrum in his own company -daily-. There is far too much Scrum coaches/trainer that stopped practicing.

                              @Peter: Merci!

                              @Jeff: When I go to the URL you provided, I get a google ads trap page. When I replace the s by a g (blogpot), what I get is funny. Finally, when I type blogspot, I get the correct page.

                              Warm regards,

                              Pierre Mengal

                              --
                              Sent from my mobile device

                              Jeff Anderson

                              http://agileconsulting.blogspot.com/

                            • Peter Stevens (cal)
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 4, 2010
                                On 04.06.10 11:14, Pierre Mengal wrote:

                                @Thais, Subscribed to that one too. Henrik has something very valuable: he uses Scrum in his own company -daily-. There is far too much Scrum coaches/trainer that stopped practicing.

                                Rebonjour,

                                Interesting statement, Pierre! What are the symptoms of coach/trainer blogs who aren't practicing?

                                Cheers,

                                Peter
                                --
                                Peter Stevens, CSM, CSPO, CSP
                                Independent Scrum Trainer and Coach

                                Member of DasScrumTeam.de

                                blog:  http://scrum-breakfast.com
                                tel:   +41 44 586 6450
                                cell:  +41 79 422 6722
                                skype: peterstev
                              • Michael James
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 4, 2010
                                  http://blogs.danube.com/author/michael-james
                                  http://blogs.danube.com/category/mjs-picks

                                  Also my twitter feed, for what it's worth:
                                  https://twitter.com/michaeldotjames

                                  --mj

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 4, 2010
                                    Peter,

                                    It's my personnal opinion and it's not specifically related to Scrum or Agile.

                                    The nature of my current professional occupation allows me to meet coaches & trainers every week (in various fields, such as sales, marketing, development, finances, management, hr, etc...)...

                                    ... and the best ones are those who still eat their own dog food.

                                    Warm regards,

                                    Pierre Mengal

                                    On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Peter Stevens (cal) <peterstev@...> wrote:

                                    On 04.06.10 11:14, Pierre Mengal wrote:

                                    @Thais, Subscribed to that one too. Henrik has something very valuable: he uses Scrum in his own company -daily-. There is far too much Scrum coaches/trainer that stopped practicing.

                                    Rebonjour,

                                    Interesting statement, Pierre! What are the symptoms of coach/trainer blogs who aren't practicing?

                                    Cheers,

                                    Peter
                                    --
                                    Peter Stevens, CSM, CSPO, CSP
                                    Independent Scrum Trainer and Coach
                                    Sierra-Charlie Consulting | Zurich | Switzerland

                                    Member of DasScrumTeam.de

                                    blog:  http://scrum-breakfast.com
                                    tel:   +41 44 586 6450
                                    cell:  +41 79 422 6722
                                    skype: peterstev

                                  • Mark Levison
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 4, 2010
                                      On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Pierre Mengal <pierre@...> wrote:

                                      Peter,

                                      It's my personnal opinion and it's not specifically related to Scrum or Agile.

                                      The nature of my current professional occupation allows me to meet coaches & trainers every week (in various fields, such as sales, marketing, development, finances, management, hr, etc...)...

                                      ... and the best ones are those who still eat their own dog food.

                                      Perhaps but when your business is small say 1-4 people and your needs bounce from day to day, what does Agile look like? I try regular retrospectives, but with the day to pressure with out my own ScrumMaster/Coach somethings get missed. After what is Test Driven: Networking, Presentation Prep, Billing, ...

                                      I've tried Kanban for personal process and while its close, it does yet suit my personal nature. Perhaps if I were part of team it would be easier.

                                      Cheers
                                      Mark
                                    • Adam Sroka

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 4, 2010
                                          Yes Mark you are right , if we were part of a team it would be easier and for me it makes a lot of sense for coaches and consultants to team up. I always focus on building teams to work together and collaborate .

                                          I leverage task board, retrospectives and stand-ups.

                                          Bachan Anand
                                          WORK is GOOD
                                          Tel  +1-949-232-8900
                                          Contact Me LinkedinFacebookFacebookTwitter

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 7, 2010
                                            Lol,

                                            You caught me, here I thought I was being clever...

                                            Jeff

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jun 8, 2010
                                               yeah

                                              To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                                              From: Thomasjeffreyandersontwin@...
                                              Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 20:22:58 -0400

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jun 8, 2010
                                                On Dzone, I got this article today:

                                                http://www.dzone.com/links/rss/scrum_is_a_flow_state_interrupter.html

                                                Warm regards,

                                                Pierre Mengal

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jun 8, 2010
                                                  Just read the complete trail, and jeff dude can't even type, what a ...

                                                  Here we go again...

                                                  --
                                                  Sent from my mobile device

                                                  Jeff Anderson

                                                  http://agileconsulting.blogspot.com/
                                                • Jussi Mononen
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jun 11, 2010
                                                    On 06/02/2010 12:57 PM, Pierre Mengal wrote:

                                                    > Hello,
                                                    > I would like to subscribe to some RSS feeds about Scrum and/or Agile.
                                                    > Could you please suggest me which one I should consider ? My Google
                                                    > Reader suggestion tool is not helping me so much ;)
                                                    > I'm not specifically looking for the most popular ones.

                                                    Hi,

                                                    Jurgen Appelo has done some great work with blog gathering and ranking,
                                                    you should go and see!

                                                    http://www.noop.nl/2009/09/top-200-blogs-for-developers-q3-2009.html
                                                    http://www.noop.nl/2010/04/top-150-management-leadership-blogs.html

                                                    OPML-files included, so just d/l and import to your favourite reader.

                                                    Br,

                                                    --
                                                    - Agile Poodle
                                                    - http://www.jussimononen.info/