RE: [scrumdevelopment] Impediment Reporting

  • Schiel James - SHS Malvern
    Message 1 of 66 , Oct 1, 2004
      This sounds to me like a situation where the "small steps" approach might be best. In other words, if the team is withholding impediments, it might be best to make a couple changes. First, can the team itself be re-staffed?  In other words, can some team members from the "problem" team be swapped with other team members? This might help break apart the team history and open it up to new possibilities.

      Second, it sounds like it might be a good idea to lessen the Sprint Backlog to give the team a little more room to succeed. If they can learn to trust the process, they might become more willing to be forthcoming with their problems. Yes, I know that less content in the Sprint leads to delays -- but it sounds like that's happening anyhow.  In cases where I've experienced this type of unwillingness to communicate, it was often related to the developer's lack of trust for management.

      One final thought (and definitely a last resort) -- if the developers are not willing or not able to work within the development environment that you're creating, it may be time for them to seek out a position elsewhere.

      Jim Schiel
      Message 66 of 66 , Oct 9, 2004
        Ken's CSM course does cover Scrum pre-project steps - at different
        levels of detail for different situations: New Unfunded Projects, New
        Funded Projects, Ongoing Projects, Fixed Price/Fixed Date Projects. In
        my copy of the methodology book, these are grouped under the title
        "planning" which occurs before the first Sprint Planning meeting.