Re: [scrumdevelopment] Impediment Reporting

  • mike.dwyer1@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 66 , Oct 1, 2004
      Pete:
      I am curious, do you have a user/customer on the team? Do you have priorities set by a product owner? Have you as a Scrum Master aided the team and the product owner to set reasonable expectations?

      If so, why can't you accept that estimates are inherently wrong, and that teams do their best to guess what they can do, and that product owners do the best they can.  If this is not the case then I have to ask where the hell is your high water coming from and why aren't you doing something about it?

      --
      Mike Dwyer

      "I Keep six faithful serving-men
      Who serve me well and true:
      Their names are What and Where and When
      And How and Why and Who." - Kipling

      > If people aren't telling you about impediments, then either (a) they
      > don't have any, or (b) they haven't yet grokked that they are
      > personally committed to completing their backlog items by the end of
      > the sprint.
      >
      > The speech I give these days is "If you as a team sign up to these
      > backlog items, it means that come hell or high water, you have to
      > deliver them by the end of the sprint. So if there is anything
      > stopping you from doing that, you have to let people know sooner
      > rather than later, otherwise there are going to be some very late
      > nights four weeks from now."
      >
      > Pete.

    • Deb
      Message 66 of 66 , Oct 9, 2004
        Ken's CSM course does cover Scrum pre-project steps - at different
        levels of detail for different situations: New Unfunded Projects, New
        Funded Projects, Ongoing Projects, Fixed Price/Fixed Date Projects. In
        my copy of the methodology book, these are grouped under the title
        "planning" which occurs before the first Sprint Planning meeting.