Re: [scrumdevelopment] Case - Converting a Scrum team to Kanban

  • Johannes Staffans
    Message 1 of 4 , May 21, 2010
      Hi Mattias,

      Thanks for a very interesting read.

      We've implemented some Kanban features in our current Scrum setup, for instance WIP limits. It's working pretty well for us, I do however have a few doubts with regards to implementing full-blown Kanban (probably due to my limited understanding of it) - it'd be interesting to hear your take on it:

      - if you divide the board into work steps, as you've done (test design, development, unit/functional testing etc), aren't you dangerously close to implementing a mini-waterfall for each user story? I thought the idea is to parallelize as much of the work as possible.

      - did your team track story tasks at all or just user stories on the Kanban board? If they did vanilla Scrum before, I guess they used to break down stories into tasks at Sprint Planning and track the tasks during the Sprint. Did you get rid of the story tasks completely? If so, how did the team feel about it?

      Regards
      Johannes

      On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Mattias Skarin <mattias.skarin@...> wrote:

      Hi

      I've added a case study of a development team which converted from Scrum to Kanban.
      They were fighting a loosing project which eventually was turned around.

      Some of the things we learned:
      - incremental improvement works, even in high pressure situations
      - cross functional problems calls for cross functional actions
      - kanban works well as a tool to surface and highlight improvements to team and stakeholders

      Now, there are always two solutions to any problem :) I added a short section at the end reasoning about what the other option could be (strengthening the sprints with tougher definition of done). Anyhow, I hope it can inspire others to experiment with their way of work.

      Converting a Scrum team to Kanban

      Cheers
      Mattias Skarin