Re: [scrumdevelopment] Coaching And problems

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 9 , May 11, 2010
      Hi, Asad,

      Asad wrote:

      > Hi Folks ,
      >
      > I am new Agile Coach And I am very happy :D . I have Some problem in
      > coaching .
      >
      > My main problem is Cost of Coaching . My Cost of coaching is 500$ per
      > day . But small companies have problem with it. and they can't pay if
      > coaching time will be long.
      >
      > If coaching take 60 days (2 Months) , : 60* 500$ = 30,000$ . And Small
      > Companies Can't pay this Money .
      >
      > How you Manage it ? And How you deal it?
      >
      > I Offer to client that :
      >
      > Agile transforming is Follow steps :
      >
      > 1-Understand
      > 2- Education
      > 3- Execution
      > 4- Reflect And Tune
      >
      > I offer to Client , The Steps 1,2 Can Be Done In 3,4 Days . You Take
      > these steps with coach and do yourself steps 3,4 And if you have problem
      > Tell us and we will help you remotely (is this possible?)

      If you're doing 1 & 2 in 3-4 days, it sounds like training, rather than
      coaching. One of the big gains in coaching is that the coach notices
      things that the client doesn't notice or doesn't think is important.

      You might be able to help some remotely, but I've found being there is
      much more powerful, for me. On the other hand, it takes time for people
      to practice, too. I don't need to be there every day, particularly for
      small clients. (Big corporations can eat up a lot of time, because
      there are a lot of people who need to learn new ways of working.)

      One way that seems useful is to work with the client on-site
      intermittently. Perhaps go in for a week, and then let them try to self
      coach for a few weeks or months (remaining available by email or phone).
      Then go in for a few days to check up on things. Repeat this pattern
      as needed. This can be a hard concept to sell, but small companies seem
      more amenable to it than do large ones.

      - George