Impediment Reporting

  • Clinton Keith
    Message 1 of 66 , Sep 30, 2004

      I am seeking some advice on how to better coach Scrum teams to report impediments more frequently.

      We are on our sixth Sprint since starting Scrum.  We have seven Scrum teams up and running.

      The problem is that we don’t have as much impediment reporting as I feel we should.  The impediments are definitely out there and people are happy to privately complain about them, but we need all the teams to see these impediments and either take ownership in solving them or to pass them along to those that can.  One idea is to ask each Scrum Master to report their top four team impediments at the Scrum of Scrums, but this seems to be a bit of a forced process on something that should be happening more naturally.  It seems that this probably boils down to the teams not quite understanding the ownership/self-organization principles of Scrum.

      Any advice from the more experienced Scrum Masters out there?

      Thanks,
      Clint

      CSM

      Sammy Studios.

      www.sammystudios.com

    • Deb
      Message 66 of 66 , Oct 9, 2004
        Ken's CSM course does cover Scrum pre-project steps - at different
        levels of detail for different situations: New Unfunded Projects, New
        Funded Projects, Ongoing Projects, Fixed Price/Fixed Date Projects. In
        my copy of the methodology book, these are grouped under the title
        "planning" which occurs before the first Sprint Planning meeting.