Backlog and Sprint Statuses

  • dsrkkk
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2010
      Hello,

      Is there any relationship between status of product backlog items and sprint backlog items?

      What are different statuses (ex: Done, not done, in progress) we can use for product backlog items?

      What are different statuses  we can use for backlog items?

      Thanks

      dsr

    • Roy Morien
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2010
        I feel that your question shows a misunderstanding of the relationship between the Product Backlog and the Sprint Backlog. Basically, a User Story or other descriptive artefact is taken from the Product Backlog an added to the Sprint acklog because it has been decided to develop that User Story in the next sprint. That User Story does not stay in the Product Backlog ... it is either in the Product Backlog (awaiting attention in the future) or in the Sprint Backlog (about to be developed in the immediately next sprint) ... it is not in both!

        I would also think that once a User Story has been completed ... Done! ... it only remains in some archival form possibly for future reference OR just disappears because it has been Done!. So all Product Backlogs have a status of Waiting to be Done. Because we do not anticipate requirement details ahead of the sprint in which the User Story will be developed, there would be no Product Backlog status of 'Analysed', 'Designed' etc. ... just ... Waiting to be Done.

        In the Sprint Backlog probably the User Story has a status of 'In development', 'In QA testing', 'Done!' ... and even 'Suspended' if it is intended not to do anything with it in this sprint. A 'Suspended' item would be put back onto the Product Backlog at the end of the sprint for further consideration.

        Detailed status such as 'In Analysis', 'In Design', 'In Construction', 'Being Tested' would not be relevant, being to fine granularity in a sprint.

        I think I'm right :)

        Regards,
        Roy Morien

        To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
        From: dsrkkk@...
        Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 23:31:26 +0000
        Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Backlog and Sprint Statuses

        Hello,

        Is there any relationship between status of product backlog items and sprint backlog items?

        What are different statuses (ex: Done, not done, in progress) we can use for product backlog items?

        What are different statuses  we can use for backlog items?

        Thanks

        dsr

        Meet local singles online. Browse profiles for FREE!
      • datlasr
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2010
          Thank you very much. I am think adding a Status column:

          for Product backlog items:

          1. Waiting to  be done
          2. Deferred

          for Sprint Backlog items: