RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Team as a whole feeling very anti-Scrum

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
      Thanks Jussi, I can understand your situation.

      But there is a difference between being unsure about how to do something correctly and not understanding it, and being hostile and anti- the thing.

      If your situation is just that there has been some confusion about it all, leading to frustration and an attitude of 'it's not working for us', then I would suggest that you go back to Go and get it underway all over again.

      This time, make sure that the team is willing. DO this by asking them if they are happy with whatevery way they were doing it before, if they are willing to try again in a more orderly fashion etc. Get their buy-in for another try.

      Then introduce Scrum slowly. I know this may go against the advice of some others, probably more worthy to offer an opinion than myself, but  have had experience with doing this, albeit with student groups. Basically starting as an iterative approach lead to great acceptance, and not much emphasis was placed on the innards of Scrum. But in many ways this was a cunning trick. I didn't talk much about User Stories, but the developers still had to ascertain requirements, and what better way than to interview the various users, get their requirements in 'laymen's language', and then make a list of these requirements for further detailed analysis. This was actually remarkably like User Stories and a Product Backlog, even though those terms were not used formally. Of course, the teams had to decide on what to do in the next iteration, so they asked users what was most important to them, and they developed that first. Does this sound like prioritizing User Stories to you?

      And so on ... they soon started behaving like a Scrum team, whcih would have given me the chance to start to be more formal about it, but we unfortunately ran out time.

      The end result was enormous satisfaction with the whole approach, and a clear view that it was a very useful way to go, even if it flew mostly in the face of the conventional wisdoms that the students had been fed in their previous studies.

      Of course, I had the ability to put some pressure on the student groups to use this approach.

      Try it!

      Regards,
      Roy morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: xjussix@...
      Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 06:28:28 +0000
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Team as a whole feeling very anti-Scrum

      Hi Roy,

      After a couple of days with the team I can only say so much but here goes. As I have understood it, the reason for their attitudes boils down to the fact that they don't really know and understand agile & Scrum. I don't know why the previous SM didn't do anything about that but maybe I'll find out soon.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, Roy Morien <roymorien@. ..> wrote:

      > I think that, before any comments, responses or suggestions can be made, I would certainly like to know why they are now anti_scrum. What has brought this situation about? Before you can fix the problem you must know what the problem is.
      >

      > Regards,
      >
      > Roy Morien
      >

      > To: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
      > From: xjussix@...
      > Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 09:16:02 +0000
      > Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Team as a whole feeling very anti-Scrum
      >

      > I started working as an SM recently in a team that has tried to adopt Scrum for some time now with more than questionable results. They have mostly reverted back to the old ways of working and the situation seems quite difficult.
      >
      > What are some of the suggested ways to make the team feel less hostile towards Scrum? How would you reintroduce Scrum to a team in a situation where mostly everyone thinks Scrum is useless? I'd like to hear similar stories and possibly even some suggestions.
      >
      > I thought I would start first with the team's biggest pain points and reasons why they think agile and Scrum are not that useful. Then I should be able to pinpoint the root causes. Does this make sense at all?
      >
      > For more background information, see my latest blog entry here:
      > http://beyondagilit y.blogspot. com/2010/ 03/i-think- i-just-got- hit-by-cargo- cult.html
      >
      > Thanks in advance!
      >
      > Jussi

      > Browse profiles for FREE! Meet local singles online.
      > http://clk.atdmt. com/NMN/go/ 150855801/ direct/01/

      Looking for a hot date? View photos of singles in your area!