Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: annual developer objectives

  • Ilja Preuß
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 31, 2010
      2010/3/31 biglnewsom <biglnewsom@...>:

      > Yes I have asked them.  The only answer the team can really give is TDD.  It's their silver bullet.

      If they did TDD, what benefit would management see? The customer? The users?

      Cheers, Ilja
    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 31, 2010
        Big L,

        biglnewsom wrote:
        > I'm not resisting TDD. I personally love TDD. In this large code
        > base that would need pretty significant refactoring, it would be very
        > time consuming to get it implemented. Not sure the business or
        > senior management has the commitment needed for us to get there. I'm
        > more looking for that smaller quicker win to start demostrating to
        > sr. management the potential gain this could have if they would give
        > us the time & money to get there.

        Time consuming to get good tests around the legacy code? Or
        time-consuming for the developers to make TDD the default way they work?

        - George

        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 31, 2010
          Hello, biglnewsom. On Wednesday, March 31, 2010, at 1:04:18 AM,
          you wrote:

          > I'm not resisting TDD. I personally love TDD. In this large
          > code base that would need pretty significant refactoring, it would
          > be very time consuming to get it implemented. Not sure the
          > business or senior management has the commitment needed for us to
          > get there. I'm more looking for that smaller quicker win to start
          > demostrating to sr. management the potential gain this could have
          > if they would give us the time & money to get there.

          I don't understand. TDD is someone one does every day: write a test,
          make it work, improve the code.

          What is it about that that makes you think it isn't small, isn't
          quick, and would take time and money?

          You say "get therre". Where is it you'd be trying to "get" with TDD?

          www.xprogramming.com/blog