Re: How to handle teams that have a varrying mix of embedded and server work?

  • woynam
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 29, 2010
      I don't know about analogy, but anyone who suggested that we run our servers at 100% utilization would be thrown out the door. We get worried when they're running at 80%, and panic sets in at 90%.

      Somewhere, somehow, somebody decided that running our people at 100 or 110% was OK.

      Local optimization almost always leads to suboptimal results. In the case of software development, this typically manifests itself as a) loss due to context switching, as team members bounce from team to team, and project to project, and b) too much partially finished work in the queue, as it's damn near impossible to level resources such that any one project has its full compliment of "necessary" skill types.

      Mark