Agile estimations

  • sharmila.patwardhan@tieto.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 14, 2010

      I would like to know the various estimation methods used in Agile.

      Best Regards,
      Sharmila Patwardhan, PMP,ITIL,CSM
      TietoEnator Software Technologies Pvt, Ltd, Indian Software Centre
      email : Sharmila.patwardhan@... , direct +91 (0)20 6604 2276, fax +91 (0)20 66042255, board +91 (0)20 6604 2233/44
      8th Floor, D Building, Weikfield IT Citi Info Park, Nagar Road, Pune 411014, INDIA
      Meet the new Tieto: www.tieto.com/newtieto

      Please note: The information contained in this message may be legally privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorised use, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank You.

    • Roy Morien
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 14, 2010
        What research have you done already? Did you Google (or Yahoo) 'estimation methods used in Agile', and if so, what was the result?

        Regards,
        Roy Morien

        To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
        From: sharmila.patwardhan@...
        Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 06:34:19 +0200
        Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Agile estimations

[...]

        Find out now. Link all your email accounts and social updates with Hotmail.
      • sharmila.patwardhan@tieto.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 17, 2010
          Roy,

          we are currently practicing planning poker estimation to which we have added "complexity" attribute to arrive at story points.
          This complexity is the technical complexity which could be business log, UI etc.

          We were looking if there are other variations in Agile estimations

          Best regards,

          Sharmila Patwardhan, Sr. Q&P Consultant
          Tieto

          To: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 17, 2010
            Sharmila,

            There are lots of variations in Agile estimations. As a coach, I've
            seen the best results when teams keep it very simple. The approach that
            seems to work best is comparison to other stories: "I think this story
            is a '2' because it's about the same size as this other story that we
            called a '2'."

            Actually, that's not the 'best' I've seen, but it's something that teams
            seem to be able to reach quickly. The best I've seen is estimating
            whether the story is "too big" or "small enough." Then you can just
            count stories. There's enough noise in estimation under the best of
            circumstances that this works well when you learn to make stories "small
            enough."

            - George

            sharmila.patwardhan@... wrote:

            > Roy,
            >
            > we are currently practicing planning poker estimation to which we have
            > added "complexity" attribute to arrive at story points.
            > This complexity is the technical complexity which could be business log,
            > UI etc.
            >
            > We were looking if there are other variations in Agile estimations
            >

            > Best regards,
            >
            > *Sharmila Patwardhan*, Sr. Q&P Consultant
            > *Tieto*

          • JackM
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 17, 2010
              Best is to do some research. There's a lot of information on this topic on the internet.

              There are also great video's available online that go into agile estimating in detail.

              Search for estimating video's by mike cohn on youtube. There's some excellent video's by him. Also his site has lot's of info on relative estimating techniques, planning poker etc - www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

              Best is to estimate in Story points. You do this with planning poker. And it's a relative estimating technique that get's you a reasonably accurate estimate in the shortest possible time and estimates produced this way are holistic in that input is received from the entire team.

              Jack
              www.agilebuddy.com
              blog.agilebuddy.com
              twitter.com/agilebuddy

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 17, 2010
                It would be interesting to know a little more about your practices, Sharmila.

                Regards,
                RoyMorien

                To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com

                To: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 19, 2010
                  Roy,

                  I was more interested in how others are doing estimations but I can surely explain our estimation.
                  Its a variation of planning poker.
                  So to get "size" for the project, we are using attributes as "complexity"
                  We have a guideline to rate a story complex from High,Low, Medium and this is used as reference for sizing in planning poker.
                  And then we arrive at estimation efforts based on size of the story

                  To: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com

                  To: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com