Re: Scrum Usecases

  • huetlandry
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 12 10:36 AM
      I agree with the Ron, Jeff (and others)about the problems with retaining "some of the old" while trying to introduce the new. Many folks are not comfortable just jumping into a completely new environment, so you can encourage them to change by careful, considered retention of a small number of "safe" practices. However, keeping too much of the old will cause failure, and then the team will blame the failure on the new, not on their own reluctance to change.

      Use cases are one of those practices that tend to encourage a BRUF approach, so it is very difficult to get people to start writing tests or code before the use cases are "done." It is important the the PO is responsible for the use case scenarios, not the team. The team only implements the scenarios given by the PO - they do not write scenarios. The PO may choose to modify the use case scenarios based on talks with the team, but that's their choice.

      What I found useful was to run a one-day sprint where we start with a draft use case, "flesh out" the main success scenario, write the test case for it, collect or create the test data, agree on a design, write the code (pair programming), run the tests, fix any problems, and demo the working code.

      If you don't feel up to running this yourself, several CST companies provide this approach in a range of 1-5-day variants. The key to the success of this approach is that it lets the team actually see the WHOLE "life cycle" of a sprint in a short time, with real results that apply to their bottom line (not a "classroom exercise.")

      I've seen the light go on in the eyes of several teams and "managers" after doing this. I've also seen teams decide to stay with BRUF because they were not comfortable with not "knowing the big picture" before writing code. Ultimately it is the team's choice, not yours or that of the management.

      If your organization has a mandate to maintain the use case model, one way to manage a collection of use cases without weighing down the Team is to give ownership of the use cases to the PO and the enterprise QA team. Since new functionality comes from the PO, changes to existing use cases are a good place for the PO to start. Since errors are the result of inconsistency between user actions and the implemented scenarios, recording these inconsistencies as a change request referencing use case scenario(s) fits well with the way that many QA organizations operate.

      Cheers!
      Huet Landry