RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: OT - budget allocation % by phase, esp requirements?

  • Rajan Rao
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 22, 2004
      Michael,

      I might be deviating from the original question; however, what in your
      opinion were the key factors that helped this team meet their dates
      and be so successful.

      --Rajan

      From: Joel <jadams@...>
      Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 02:43:38 -0000
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: OT - budget allocation % by phase, esp
      requirements?
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Eric R Johnson
      <eric.r.johnson@s...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      >> Wondering if any of the people on this list can help me
      > with a question....
      >
      > Management is from the waterfall school and is reluctant to approve
      > POC or prototyping work until a detailed, signed-off
      > requirements doc is available. I might be able to get
      > the $$ approvals if I can make a well-supported case.

      ___________
      I have read several responses citing chapter and verse of the Agile
      Bible that you are asking a question that is non-sensical to Agile
      devotees. I haven't seen any practical advice - you know, that "art
      of the possible" stuff - about what appears to me to be a fairly
      common challenge.

      So, group members, what DO you say to the manager who has been
      thinking in terms of a signed-off, detailed requirements doc? And if
      potential answers for this situation have already been written about,
      couldn't someone at least refer Mr. Johnson to other sources?

      Here are my admittedly inadequate suggestions which I only offer
      because I am embarassed that others with many more years of
      experience than I, don't seem to be responding in a constructive
      way...
      1) Will Management spring for a few thousand dollars to have a "world
      renowned expert" (like many of the contributors to this group) come
      and present to them the case for a different approach?
      2) Would management agree to go visit an agile shop and meet a person
      at their level to discuss an different software development process?
      (let peers sell to peers)
      3) Can you do the detailed requirements doc and get it signed off in
      a manner that management is comfortable with, then just convert that
      to a product backlog and start developing in Agile?

      Joel Adams
      Wayne, PA USA

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor