RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum and Traceability

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 137 , Mar 1, 2010
      Why does "PCI-DSS requires traceability of code changes to requirements and to individual programmers and reviewers"? To what purpose? How is that information used? How is that information recorded and stored and disseminated and responded to and ustified and verified and validated?

      And how does this add to the efficiency and effectiveness of the development team, and the business value of the product?

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: jordi.salvat.i.alabart@...
      Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 22:40:34 +0000
      Subject: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum and Traceability

      Hi Drskkk,

      Scrum doesn't get into what to work on or how to do it -- it defers decisions on that to the product owner (for the what) and the team (for the how).

      If you need traceability, your product owner should require that as a project constraint and let the team choose how to obtain it. One possibility would be to add some steps and checks into the development process -- just as you would do with any other project management framework. There might be others.

      If your question is whether Scrum is compatible with traceability, the answer is yes: a team I worked for used Scrum (or at least some sort of scrum-but) in a PCI-DSS compliant company. PCI-DSS requires traceability of code changes to requirements and to individual programmers and reviewers, which I guess is what you're asking about.

      --
      Salut,

      Jordi Salvat i Alabart
      CSP

      --- In scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com, "dsrkkk" <dsrkkk@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      > Is there any role for traceability in scrum? How can we handle links in
      > scrum?
      > dsr

      Find out now Link all your email accounts and social updates with Hotmail.
    • john_hermann
      Message 137 of 137 , Apr 20 3:14 AM
        @Mark
        <quote>
        Couldn't we write the tests such that they don't look like tests, but rather requirements?

        With one, and only one formal specification, which also happens to be executable against the actual system, aren't we better off than having to split time between two possibly out-of-sync artifacts?
        </quote>

        ThoughtWorks has a testing tool called Twist, which uses something called Business Workflows. And now it has a nestable declarative aggregator called a "Concept" (what a concept!).

        http://www.thoughtworks-studios.com/agile-test-automation
        <snip>
        Twist is... designed to help you deliver applications fully aligned with your business. It eliminates requirements mismatch as business users directly express intent in their domain language.
        </snip>

        I have not used the tool myself. If anyone has, please add some insight.

        -johnny
        P.S. I have no affiliation w/ ThoughtWorks.