Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum and Traceability

    Message 1 of 137 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hello, matt. On Monday, March 1, 2010, at 10:45:26 AM, you wrote:

      > One of the best reasons for traceability is for planning, particularly in
      > mature projects or projects close to release. With traceability, my product
      > managers can have a discussion with the team and when they say "I would like
      > to change this requirement" or "I would like to modify that operational
      > behavior", the team can draw the traceability diagram and let the PM know
      > all the things that will need to be retested and validated and estimates can
      > be made to determine whether there is adequate ROI for the change. It
      > becomes part of the "costing" for the new or changed features.

      Why don't they just tell people how much it'll cost based on knowing
      what they are doing?

      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      I stand for excellence.
      I'm tired of people who stand for less. -- Mike Hill
    • john_hermann
      Message 137 of 137 , Apr 20 3:14 AM
        @Mark
        <quote>
        Couldn't we write the tests such that they don't look like tests, but rather requirements?

        With one, and only one formal specification, which also happens to be executable against the actual system, aren't we better off than having to split time between two possibly out-of-sync artifacts?
        </quote>

        ThoughtWorks has a testing tool called Twist, which uses something called Business Workflows. And now it has a nestable declarative aggregator called a "Concept" (what a concept!).

        http://www.thoughtworks-studios.com/agile-test-automation
        <snip>
        Twist is... designed to help you deliver applications fully aligned with your business. It eliminates requirements mismatch as business users directly express intent in their domain language.
        </snip>

        I have not used the tool myself. If anyone has, please add some insight.

        -johnny
        P.S. I have no affiliation w/ ThoughtWorks.