Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Baselining and Scrum

  • Franz Allan Valencia See
    Message 1 of 79 , Mar 1, 2010
      I'm curious about this one - "it may be useful". keyword there is "may be".

      IMHO, if your experience in your current organisation seems to be pointing to using baselines (because tracking commit logs, issues in issue tracking system, sprint backlogs, etc are not enough), then go ahead and used baselines. How specifically will depend on why your current set up does not work.

      However, if you're just assuming it may be useful, then that's a different story. A lot of things can be helpful, but some (or most) of them are addressing problems you probably won't encounter.

      Personally, if you're just assuming it may be useful, then I suggest you don't do it. Just take note that it can be used in the future if you encounter the problems it is trying to solve. And if that problem does arise (which I don't think will have a significant cost), then use that process.

      Btw, this also applies for other processes and tools as well. If a process/tool is solving a problem that has a low impact and/or is unlikely to happen, then why employ a costly process/tool?

      And remember the basics, "Individuals and interactions over processes and tools." Be careful the processes/tools you introduce and verify if they actually help the team or if it hinders them :-)

      Franz Allan Valencia See | Java Software Engineer
      LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/franzsee
      Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/franz_see

      On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:40 AM, dsrkkk <dsrkkk@...> wrote:

      > Hello, sharmila. On Monday, February 22, 2010, at 10:35:10 PM,
      > you wrote:
      > > Another thing about baselining was if the stories have a scope
      > > change as per the baseline, in a time and material kind of
      > > contract the customer has to agree to pay the additional cost or
      > > bare the consequences of the change.
      > Baselining assumes that change is bad. Agile assumes that change is
      > good.
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > www.xprogramming.com/blog
      > The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Geoffrey Chaucer

      What is meant by baselining? Baselining allows changes. Baselining provides the snapshot of data at a particular time. It may be useful in multi-user environment and large scale scrum projects.

    • woynam
      Message 79 of 79 , Apr 20, 2010
        On top of that, the project is measured against the plan. It's assumed that the plan is handed down from the Almighty on High, i.e. the Project Manager, and must therefore be correct. Any deviation from the plan *must* be the fault of the team, and not the plan.

        How about if we turn it around? I'm going to invent a new metric that measures the worthlessness of the plan. The more the project deviates from the plan, the more shit we'll heap on the PM.

        Now, I just need a catchy name.