Re: story template abuse (was Re: [scrumdevelopment] Letting attacks go unchallenged)

  • Steve Ropa
    Message 1 of 76 , Feb 2, 2010
      That was basically  what I said back to him.  It doesn't add anything to the product at all.  I guess I could suss out some sort of idea, but  on the  whole it’s a worthless story.  His response was amusing.  He had put it in there to make a point that he was worried about stability,  and "hey, it followed the template."

      Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 12:09 AM
      Subject: RE: story template abuse (was Re: [scrumdevelopment] Letting attacks go unchallenged)

      Which suggests what software components are to be developed?

      To: scrumdevelopment@ yahoogroups. com
      From: theropas@...
      Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 00:04:13 -0700

      I saw one from a product owner that went essentially "as a delighted customer, I can know that none of my data is being lost, so that I can sleep at night."

      Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 11:48 PM

      Hi,

      > Writing things like: "As the system," "As the PO," "As a
      developer,"
      > etc are bright, giant red flags. My advise is to never, ever
      do that.
      > Those are not users, and the thing they want to do is almost
      certainly
      > not a user story.

      How about "System can clear and compress its database during nighttime"? Or "System can handle at least 1000 simultaneous user with an average response time below 1s 95% of the time"? I think those are stories and pretty well match the INVEST criteria (I'm not claming perfect match, especially since the latter can be anything but small).

      "As a PO" and "As a Developer" are very much no-no's to me, too. But I've seen some teams write down those stories for their improvement actions, e.g. "Development team can see results of code analysis every morning". Those could be just as well written as tasks, but they do belong to the Product Backlog as sometimes there are business priorities that define their prioritization.

      Yours, Petri

      Learn how Video chat with Windows Live Messenger

    • Peter Stevens (calendar)
      Message 76 of 76 , Feb 7, 2010

        Doesn't it seem a bit disproportionate, though? It does to me. I too
        am curious what aspect of the human condition causes us to attribute
        so much power to these words. The word "fuck" for example - though it
        has an accepted definition in common use its meaning is entirely
        contextual. It doesn't even convey a useful concept, therefore. So,
        why is its presence in speech (or writing) so important to us?

        _,_.___

        Why does a "wardrobe malfunction" produce a massive emotional response including congressional investigations? Beats me. Probably has something to do with the Puritans and maybe that repression amplifies the response.

        Having said that, I do live in a less prudish part of the world (more sex on TV, more tolerance for public nudism, less sensitivity to obscene language). Even here, scatological references don't have much place in public discourse - you might occasionally hear 'Scheisse' from a politician's mouth, but it's an exception.

        An interesting question is why modesty developed, why it lives on, and whether it will survive the Internet. It seems pretty deeply rooted, but I think that question belongs on a different list...

        Cheers,
        Peter
        --
        Peter Stevens, CSM, CSPO, CSP