Re: [scrumdevelopment] Letting attacks go unchallenged

  • PeteCRuth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 76 , Feb 1, 2010
      And a tip o' me hat to you, Sir Ron!

      Regards,

      Pete

      In a message dated 2/1/2010 12:26:58 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, ronjeffries@... writes:

      Hello, Thomasjeffreyanders ontwin. On Monday, February 1, 2010, at
      12:07:19 PM, you wrote:

      > I thinking statements like bullshit don't do much to move any debate
      > forward.

      There is often no word that communicates the idea as clearly as that
      one.

      I call to your attention the book "On Bullshit", by philosopher
      Harry Frankfurt, which spent 27 weeks on the NYT bestseller list.

      Ron Jeffries
      www.XProgramming. com
      www.xprogramming. com/blog
      Just write the damn test, until you can snatch the stone from my hand.
      Then, write the test.

    • Peter Stevens (calendar)
      Message 76 of 76 , Feb 7, 2010

        Doesn't it seem a bit disproportionate, though? It does to me. I too
        am curious what aspect of the human condition causes us to attribute
        so much power to these words. The word "fuck" for example - though it
        has an accepted definition in common use its meaning is entirely
        contextual. It doesn't even convey a useful concept, therefore. So,
        why is its presence in speech (or writing) so important to us?

        _,_.___

        Why does a "wardrobe malfunction" produce a massive emotional response including congressional investigations? Beats me. Probably has something to do with the Puritans and maybe that repression amplifies the response.

        Having said that, I do live in a less prudish part of the world (more sex on TV, more tolerance for public nudism, less sensitivity to obscene language). Even here, scatological references don't have much place in public discourse - you might occasionally hear 'Scheisse' from a politician's mouth, but it's an exception.

        An interesting question is why modesty developed, why it lives on, and whether it will survive the Internet. It seems pretty deeply rooted, but I think that question belongs on a different list...

        Cheers,
        Peter
        --
        Peter Stevens, CSM, CSPO, CSP