RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Lessons learned in Scrum

  • Roy Morien
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 26, 2010
      I often think the concepts of 'process improvement' and 'process verification' get confused. I have often heard people talk about improving their process by imposing more controls on how things are done. Process improvement does not include the 'process police' from the PMO or wherever, who issue edicts about how to do it (or more to the point, explanations of how to apply the 'chosen' process more rogorously), and then verify that it is being done that way.

      How many people who use CMMI and Super6 (or whatever it's called ... I think Super6 is actally a fencing panel used in Australia) are actually doing process improvement ... really trying to evaluate their process and improve upon it ...rather than evaluating compliance with the given process.

      Regards,
      Roy Morien

      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      From: lists@...
      Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:28:30 -0500
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Lessons learned in Scrum

      Heitor Roriz Filho wrote:

      > Hi George,
      >
      > On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 12:14 PM, George Dinwiddie
      > <lists@idiacomputing .com <mailto:lists@idiacomputing .com>> wrote:
      >
      > I'm not familiar with the requirements of ISO, but CMMI doesn't
      > specifically require documentation. CMMI requires that a company define
      > what documentation it needs. For agile companies, that documentation
      > can often be in a form that is useful during development, such as
      > documenting requirements in test cases.
      >
      > I agree with you. CMMI requires a company define what documentation it
      > needs and that it get done. How this needed documentation will be done
      > will probably depend on the appraiser.

      If it does, it's a bad appraiser. It's not the appraiser's job to make
      such a decision. It's the appraiser's job to see whether or not it's
      being done.

      - George

      * George Dinwiddie * http://blog. gdinwiddie. com
      Software Development http://www.idiacomp uting.com
      Consultant and Coach http://www.agilemar yland.org

      Sell your old one fast! Time for a new car?
    • Roy Morien

        From: lists@...
        Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:28:30 -0500